Creating database allowing for attachments

Database
Enthusiast

Creating database allowing for attachments

I have an Access database that I am migrating to Teradata and I do not see a way to create an attachment column. I have that in my Access and in my front-end application users can attach files. Is this possible in Teradata?

4 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Creating database allowing for attachments

I hope you are talking about large objects BLOB, CLOB . There are lots of documents available. You can refer to http://developer.teradata.com/applications/articles/large-objects-part-1-loading for example.

I have  not looked into a table udf. But I think it should be similar to HDFS and HIVE external table, where we can do all sorts of manipulations.

can use attachments to store several files in a single field, and you can even store multiple types of files in that field.

Enthusiast

Ok, reading through the link above, it just shows how to get large objects into the database. I am really looking for a way to have the equivalent of the Attachment in Access. I have a front-end application in Access and have a function and VBA code where the end-user can attach a pdf or .doc to the record in the database. I also have VBA code where they can view an attachment associated with a record in my main table. So, I am trying to find how to create the attachment column in Teradata that is an equivalent of what I can do in Access.

Enthusiast

alter table dl_qpt_cqe.qualmain add attachment binary large object;

I figured it out based on the link. Thanks. Since the attachments are .pdf or .docx this would be the right one. Binary large object.