DATABASE BACKUP

Database

DATABASE BACKUP

Hi group,

I have a teradata database in a machine...i have to take a backup in some drive & restore it into another machine..Is there any query ?? how to use SET operation!Any GUI operation

Thanks for response in Advance!
11 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: DATABASE BACKUP

Hi,

yes first and foremost if u wanna a particular database to be restored on to a new Teradata Box normally people make use of GUI tool
1. TARA GUI/Netbackup
2.Net vault

Apart from this GUI's one can also do
1. Fast export and then use Mutiload through pipe
2. TPT.

Going one step further u can make use of OLELOADER..

Note: when u want to restore a particular DB from one machine to one machine then u have to make use of COPY. Restore wont work because of unmatching DB id's reason -- Restore internally drops and recreates. so when it recreates a new Db it has diff id .

now: do u want to restore a single DB on a new machine or the entire DBC to the new box?

if u want to restore whole of DBC and its heirarchy then on the new machine u got to delete all except DBC . take a dbc backup first. U cannot copy dbc but u can only restore DBC ( if using GUI then ensure its with single stream.. Multiple streams will end up with an error).
once u have done DBC restore ..u can do a restore of other databases..

Let me know if i got u clear

Senior Apprentice

Check the "Teradata Archive/Recovery Utility Reference" manual.

If it's a small system like TD Express, it might be a simple ARC script submitted on command line:

LOGON systemA,username,password;
ARCHIVE DATA TABLES (dbname), RELEASE LOCK, FILE = backup;

followed by a:

LOGON systemB,username,password;
COPY DATA TABLES (dbname), RELEASE LOCK, FILE = backup;

Dieter

I have backup of database DBC on tape and backup other application databases as well. Now I need to restore the DBC and other databases on same machine. Please let me know what is the step by step process to restore the DBC and other databases.

Thanks in Advance
Enthusiast

Hi,

Is there a way to find out which tables or databases are not getting archived in any of the Bar Jobs?

Junior Supporter

I believe there is no table which will directly give you list of tables/databases which are not archived.

However you can use dbc.events ,which stores information of all ARC activity which took place for a particular date.

DBC.events have tablename,databasename which were archived. 

You can use this  and other dbc tables to come up with a list of tables/databases not getting archived.

~ Abhishek Jadhav

Abhishek Jadhav
Enthusiast

Thanks Abhishek,

I will try to figure out as suggested. Some time back, when i was searching on the same, i got the tables $NETVAULT_CATALOG.CATALOG  ,     ,DBC.RCEvent. Does RCEvent also gives the same info as dbc.events?

Junior Supporter

Catalog will provide tape positioning info for the tables which were archived with the catalog option enabled.

Also if a table was backed up using the catalog option,then only it will make its way to this table.

dbc.events is a view built on top of dbc.RCEvent

~ Abhishek Jadhav

Abhishek Jadhav
Enthusiast

wow thats a perfect substitute and impressive knowledge that would help me a lot with this query to set up my database

Enthusiast

Hi Masters,

Is there a way that we can add more users for TARA GUI? because right now there are only 2 users, admin and users. I need to create a user that can only monitor/abort and rerun a job.

Also, would you know where are the logs kept on the system level of the BAR servers?

Thank you so much in advance.