DB Creation And Account

Database
Enthusiast

DB Creation And Account

I am creating a Database.Do I need to associate the DB with an account in the create DB statement as in:

CREATE DATABASE DB_Name
AS Perm=0
Spool=0
Account=(‘$L’)

What is the importance of Account in the above DB creation statement?

Thanks in Advance!
Tags (1)
2 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: DB Creation And Account

The account string is one of the basic elements of performance management and tuning in Teradata.  It doesn't have anything to do with a user "account" aka logon.  

The '$L' sets the Performance Group to "Low".  The default performance groups are Low, Medium, High and Rush.  They are used to develop a balanced performance profile as part of the TASM tool set.

These are typically set in a Profile, and users of a similar like are assigned to a profile, leaving one place to manage attributes rather than on an individual user basis.

Databases don't need for an Account String, they are a user centric construct.  The reason the option is available is that the only difference between a user and a database in Teradata is a password.  

If you give a user perm space, they can not only logon with the uid/pwd, but can create tables in that perm space.  

Creating a database is simply the assignment of PermSpace with no password.  You will need to grant privileges to any users that need access to the tables in that perm space.

cheers!

Enthusiast

Re: DB Creation And Account

Hi VandeBergB,

To summarize what you have said: It is user who submits a requests since only user can only logon and establish sessions with Teradata Server and not databases themselves.The system resources are allocated to user based on the priority of the request which is decided by the account string associated with the user which can be :Low, Medium, High and Rush.

So the allocation of account string to databases does not have any impact , we can remove that from a DB creation statement.

Please correct if I am wrong.