DBS CRASHED OR SESSIONS RESET

Database
Enthusiast

DBS CRASHED OR SESSIONS RESET

Hi all!
On my Windows demo, I'm getting the following error in bteq:

*** Warning: DBS CRASHED OR SESSIONS RESET. RECOVERY IN PROGRESS>

After this message gets displayed, bteq ignores my further typing (except Ctrl-C). Furthermore, I can't log in via SQL Assistant, either. I'm sure the fast way to fix this would be to reinstall, but for the sake of learning something, how would I go about getting this working again? I should mention, vprocmanager shows everything online...

Thanks in advance!
12 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: DBS CRASHED OR SESSIONS RESET

As an update, if I leave bteq connected for a while, I'll get the same message repeated every hour or so, like it's trying to do something. Here is the output from vprocmanager status:

SYSTEM NAME: localhost 11/01/07 04:32:04

DBS LOGICAL CONFIGURATION
-------------------------

Rcv
Jrnl/
Vproc Rel. Node Can Crash Vproc Config Config Cluster/ Host VSS
Number Vproc# ID Move Count State Status Type Host No. Type Vproc
------ ------ ------ ----- ----- ------- -------- ------ -------- ----- -----
0* 1 1-01 Yes 0 ONLINE Online AMP 0 On 10238
1 2 1-01 Yes 0 ONLINE Online AMP 0 On 10237
8192 4 1-01 No 0 ONLINE N/A GTW 1 COP N/A
10237 5 1-01 Yes 0 ONLINE N/A VSS 0 N/A N/A
10238 6 1-01 Yes 0 ONLINE N/A VSS 0 N/A N/A
16383 3 1-01 Yes 0 ONLINE Online PE 1 COP N/A
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* DBS Control AMP

DBS State: Logons are enabled - The system is quiescent

DBS RestartKind: COLD

PDE PHYSICAL CONFIGURATION
--------------------------

Node Node Clique Memory
ID State Number CPUs (MB) CHANs LANs AMPs Node Name
------- ------- ------ ---- ------ ----- ---- ---- ---------------------------
1-01 ONLINE 0 2 2047 0 1 2 pdetnt01

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PDE State: RUN/STARTED

Enter a command, HELP or QUIT:

Has anyone here seen the error before? I can't find it documented in any of the Teradata PDF's in the documentation package.
Another post somewhere on the internet suggested that this might be a problem with the gateway vproc, but the "Teradata GTW Reserve Port" service is running, and vprocmanager shows it as online. Is there anything else to check? What would be done if this were to happen on a "real" Teradata system?

Thanks much!!
Senior Apprentice

How does your logon-string look like?

Seems to be a name resolution problem.
Try .logon 127.0.0.1/username

Dieter
Enthusiast

I should mention, the Teradata demo software is running on a VM elsewhere, and I have just the client bits installed. Here's the relevant line from my laptop's hosts file:

172.16.2.23 corpdatacop1 corpdata

The same entry is in the hosts file on the VM running Teradata.
I invoke bteq as follows:

C:\>bteq

Teradata BTEQ 13.00.00.03 for WIN32.
Copyright 1984-2009, Teradata Corporation. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Enter your logon or BTEQ command:
.logon corpdata/dbc

.logon corpdata/dbc
Password:

It'll then just hang there, printing the above message about once per hour, until I kill bteq by pressing Ctrl-C three times in a row.

-------------------------

Aha! I didn't believe you at first that it was a name resolution issue, until I put in a bogus entry into the hosts file with an un-pingable IP, and I got the same error! Forgive my disbelief! Try this:

hosts:
10.0.0.99 test testcop1

bteq:
.logon test/dbc
password: dbc

So you're right. Something's wrong network-wise. But how do I track it down? The host running the Teradata demo really is 172.16.2.23, and I can ping it fine from the laptop. Attempting a .logon like you suggested, using the 172.16.2.23 results in the same error. Unfortunately, I don't have bteq installed on the VM. Would a real-world Teradata server have bteq installed locally?

Thanks!!
Senior Apprentice

Is 172.16.2.23 the address of the host running VMWare or the Teradata VM?

The easiest solution is to set the VM network mode to "Bridged", then it's visible in the network like a real server.

Dieter
Enthusiast

If your Teradata VM is running in NAT mode, it is sharing the host machine's IP address, so you will need to configure port forwarding on the host machine. Port 1025 should be set to forward to the Teradata VM.

Alternatively, change the VM network mode to bridged. Then the VM will have its own IP address. You can use the SUSE administration GUI (called YaST) to configure the guest system's network interface to acquire an IP address dynamically via DHCP or to use a static IP address.
Enthusiast

Are you sure bteq is not installed on your VM? I believe the Teradata Express Edition for VMWare comes with a full suite of client tools. They should be in the /usr/bin directory.
Enthusiast

Hi!
Thanks for the responses!
Yes, 172.16.2.23 is the VM running Teradata demo. This is the Windows version, running on Server 2003 in a VMware ESXi VM on a physically separate host.

Teradata Express for Windows doesn't automatically install the client tools, unless you tell it to. I opted not to on the server VM, since I wasn't sure what it'd look like out in the real-world. I'll install it locally if that's typically done on production boxes.

So port 1025 should be open on the VM running Teradata Express?

Thanks again!!
Senior Apprentice

You need Bridged Mode or NAT-forwarding to work with any VM on a bare metal VM server, so this should be easy to enable (I don't know how to forward a port on ESXi as i run VMWare Fusion on a Mac and switch to Bridged if i need access from the outer world).

In Bridged mode you need to use the VM ip-address for logon, in NAT you have to use the ESXi address.
Port 1025 is for the DBMS only, there are some other ports for TD Manager etc.)

You don't install the full client on a production server, no GUI tools, but at least the load utilities (i'm not shure if BTEQ is already installed as part of the DBMS).

Dieter
Enthusiast

Hi there!
VMware ESXi is always "bridged" in that every VM gets it's own IP. A quick portscan shows that port 1025 is not open on the target machine, though port 1026 is. Is there a particular process on the Teradata Express server that should is responsible for opening this port? Can it be started manually or it's status checked on or something?

Again, many thanks for your help!!