Database Hiearchical Structure - Best Practices

Database

Database Hiearchical Structure - Best Practices

I'm relatively new to Teradata and we're trying to get off on the right foot.  As some background, we have 2 Teradata 2690 Appliances.  One is for dev and test.  The other is for production.  In our current data warehouse, we have multiple unrelated star schemas.  Our goal is to forklift over the data in the existing format, with the long term goal of implementing Teradata's Logical Data Model.  My question centers around the structure of the dev, test and production databases.  I'm going to outline what we've been thinking and any advice or best practices to help us get off on the right foot would be greatly appreicated.

As you can see below, we have logical groupings of data.  Conformed Dimensions and then different legacy star schemas.  The semantic layer wouldn't care "where" the data resides as long as the access non-locking views were provided in each database.  My BI tools would connect to the Semantic database, where all the views would exist.  The "Access" database contains all of the views over the tables with the "locking row for access" clause.  Note:  Production would look similar to the Test database, as we thought it would be convenient to keep test and production similar specifically for a DR solution.

Proposed Layout

(Dev/Test Server)

Sys_Dba

Test

Conformed Dimensions

Physical

Access

Legacy Data 1

Physical

Access

Legacy Data 2

Physical

Access

Semantic

Dev

Dev Conformed Dimensions

Physical

Access

Dev Legacy Data 1

Physical

Access

Dev Legacy Data 2

Physical

Access

Dev Semantic

Tags (2)
1 REPLY

Re: Database Hiearchical Structure - Best Practices

Apparently the indent tags didn't work as expected.  Here is the proposed layout, manually indented to show the hiearchies.

(Dev/Test Server)

Sys_Dba

Test

Conformed Dimensions

Physical

Access

Legacy Data 1

Physical

Access

Legacy Data 2

Physical

Access