Decommissioning of server

Database
Enthusiast

Decommissioning of server

Hi ,

I m working as a Teradata DBA. I have a requirement of decommissioning a server . I dont get any checklists/materials about decommisioning a teradata server.

I would like to understand the below details.

1. Checklist for Teradata DBA to perform the decommissioning activity

2. What are the details that needs to be got from the application teams to perform this activity. What will be activities from their end ?

3. Kindly share any guidelines/materials for this activity .

Regards,

Deepak.R

3 REPLIES
Senior Apprentice

Re: Decommissioning of server

Hi,

I've never seen such a checklist, but I think the real question is what needs to happen to the data loaded on to that system?

Do you need that data?

Do you need table, user, database etc. definitions?

Do you need any history of system usage (resusage, dbql, logonoffv etc.) to be kept?

What is the real issue here? If you are concerned about the data being available to the wrong people after the system is turned off then Teradata should be able to scrub the disks for you - remove all data. This will be a Teradata CS function and there is nothing for you as a DBA to do.

HTH

Dave

Ward Analytics Ltd - information in motion
www: http://www.ward-analytics.com
Enthusiast

Thanks Dave !

Actually i need to understand the inscope/outscope/approach/risks/assumptions/requirements activities of Teradata DBA to make a plan document for decommissioning process .

Highlighted
Senior Apprentice

Hi,

A lot of this is going to be site specific, but some starters:

inscope - disposal or backup of all the data currently residing on the system

outscope - anything to do with the physical hardware and Teradata dbms software

Go back to my earlier questions and add in:

What is going to happen to the physical hardware? If it is going out of your company's control then you probably need the disks scrubbed. If that is the case then there is very little for you to do. You should be able to ask Teradata to do that for you .

Cheers,

Dave

Ward Analytics Ltd - information in motion
www: http://www.ward-analytics.com