Delete Query in PPI vs Alter Statement Drop Range faster and better .

Database

Delete Query in PPI vs Alter Statement Drop Range faster and better .

Hi ,

Table A has partition defined on for each month say  from 2012 to 2016 .

Now I have to perform a Delete on Table A for any date between 2012 to 2016 say 12-12-2014 

So which option should I choose while deleting from above mentioned table (which would get the job done faster in a better way ).

Query : Delete from Table A where dateColumn(on which partion has been made )  < 12-12-2014 .

Or 

Should I go with Alter DROP partion with delete mentioned on the link below 

http://www.info.teradata.com/htmlpubs/DB_TTU_14_00/index.html#page/SQL_Reference/B035_1184_111A/Alte...

Please Explain in detail why ? 

4 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Delete Query in PPI vs Alter Statement Drop Range faster and better .

Jithin,

You don't have the option to drop partitions from a non empty table that are not either at the beginning or the end of the partitioning range so your example would fail unless the table is empty.

Deleting a data range will use the Transient journal, altering to drop partitions with delete will not and should be faster.

RGlass
Senior Apprentice

Hi Jithin,

in your example can't use DROP because you can only drop full partitions an not 12 days out if a months.

Otherwise I prefer DELETE over DROP PARTITION: an empty partition has no overhead and if there's a NO RANGE you must DELETE before DROP anyway.

DELETE will not use the TJ if it's a full partition (similar to a FastPath Delete ALL), only partial partition deletes are journaled.

Thanks RGlass and Dieter . 

Just to clarify more .

1. The tables are populated with Count more than 50 k or in few cases 10 times more .

2. I can also  Identify which ever partition is less than the Date eg : 12-12-2014   and drop them. or just delete the data which is less than the date .

But I need to choose a solution that is the best (in terms of speed and performance ) :) 

Thanks 

Jithin James

Senior Apprentice

Hi Jithin,

as I wrote, I prefer DELETE over DROP.

But for a table with only 500k rows I would hardly consider adding partitioning, any way to delete should be fast enough :-) 

You might simply run some tests and check DBQL for actual resource usage.