Difference between Database and user

Database
Enthusiast

Difference between Database and user

The difference between Database and user is
--> User has a user id and pwd to log into system where as Database doesnt have one and they are same in all other aspects.

Are there any other differences between the two other than this???

Regards,
Annal T
5 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Difference between Database and user

Both may own objects such as tables, views, macros, procedures, and functions. Both users and databases may hold privileges. However, only users may log on, establish a session with the Teradata Database, and submit requests.

A user performs actions where as a database is passive. Users have passwords and startup strings; databases do not. Users can log on to the Teradata Database, establish sessions, and submit SQL statements; databases cannot.

Creator privileges are associated only with a user because only a user can log on and submit a CREATE statement. Implicit privileges are associated with either a database or a user because each can hold an object and an object is owned by the named space in which it resides
Enthusiast

we can create a USER in a DATABASE and A DATABASE in a USER , PLs tell me the Use Of it , we can Create User and create Database init and grant the resp privileges ..,what is the exact advantage of this concept
N/A

Please give me detail description of what is user

database why we using these 

Enthusiast

As per my knowledge, there are no other differences than what you already mentioned. Both user & database are assigned PERM space .

Database:

It is a passive repository.

Working with database user support is required.

No passwords in database.

User:

It is an active repository.

With user you can work and connet to any tool in teradata.

user has a password associated at creation.

Hope this is will help you.