Difference in Execution time of a SQL

Database
The Teradata Database channel includes discussions around advanced Teradata features such as high-performance parallel database technology, the optimizer, mixed workload management solutions, and other related technologies.
Enthusiast

Difference in Execution time of a SQL

Hi Members,

I am finding huge difference in execution time of a query when i am trying to do a SELECT COUNT(*) versus SELECT with Column names. Query with SELECT COUNT(*) runs within 2 mins.. while SELECT Column data gives back the result set at 6 mins.

Please let me if there is a reason for this huge difference in the execution time ?

Thanks,

Sundar

7 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Difference in Execution time of a SQL

I am sure you must have heard about COUNT(*) and GROUP BY optimization.

I think that will be a good starting point.

Senior Apprentice

Hi,

As @vkbagare said there is a Teradata optimisation for the COUNT(*) processing, but two such queries are asking different questions - so there is often likely to be a run time difference.

The optimisation that Vinay refers to is that COUNT(*) doesn't read the actual data rows, it only reads the internal cylinder indexes. These occupy much less disk space, therefore fewer IO's, therefore faster processing.

HTH

Dave

Ward Analytics Ltd - information in motion
www: http://www.ward-analytics.com
Enthusiast

Thanks to both of you for your explanation. I certainly agree that COUNT(*) optimization leads to a faster result... is this also true if the Query is constructed by joining multiple tables ? I thought this is applicable only if we did COUNT(*) from a Single table.

In my case, I am trying to construct a SELECT query by joining on multiple tables. Please help me understand this.

Thanks,

Sundar

Senior Apprentice

Hi Sundar,

No, that will not apply if multiple tables in a query. For this optimisation:

- single table (see below)

- no where clause

- no aggregation (apart from "COUNT(*)")

- no sub-queries

Basically your query has to be finding 'the number of rows in the table' - or the only processing against a particular table.

In the following query, the optimisation will apply to the derived table processing:

SEL databasename
  ,rowcount
FROM dbc.databasesv
CROSS JOIN (SELECT COUNT(*) AS rowcount FROM dbc.accessrights) AS dt1

HTH
Dave

Enthusiast

Thanks for the detail explanation, Dave. But, I am unsure on why my query (which is sourcing data by joining on Multiple tables) is executing within 2 mins when I do a COUNT(*) as opposed to 6 mins when Column names are mentioned in the upper most SELECT clause. My query looks something like the below:

SELECT

COUNT(*) FROM

driver inner join table 1 on <<cond >>

inner join table 2 <<cond>>

etc; -- 1mins & 30 sec

SELECT * FROM

FROM

driver inner join table 1 on <<cond >>

inner join table 2 <<cond>>

etc; -- 6mins

Thanks,

Sundar

Senior Apprentice

This might simply be down to volume of data in the spool file(s) - which will be written to/from disk if big enough.

It is not the optimisation that @vkbagare and I talked about.  That is unlikely to apply in this case.

In your "count(*)" query the final spool file is a single row with a single column - very small. Building up to that I would expect the spool files to be small as well.

In you "select *" query the spool files will hold every column from all derived tables, typically much larger - both in terms of row length and number of rows.

It might be worth explaining both queries and looking at the estimated spool file sizes.

Cheers,

Dave

Enthusiast

Thank you Dave.. Make sense. I will work on this and will let you know the outcome.

Again thanks to all !!