Does Teradata restart after a node reboot?

Database
Enthusiast

Does Teradata restart after a node reboot?

Hi,

I have a question to ask, every time if node is rebooted, does database restart after it comes back? I mean, by default does it suppose to restart, or user has to manually bring it up? In my case, I noticed whenever I reboot my node, database never starts after that, and instead all vprocs go to FATAL state. What is the reason for that?

Thanks,
3 REPLIES
Junior Contributor

Re: Does Teradata restart after a node reboot?

I hope you're talking about a demo system running in a VMWare, because "whenever I reboot" scares me.

A production system is usually setup to start after the node booted.

How do you initialize the reboot?
There's a chapter in the Database Administration manual: "Stopping and Restarting the System"

Did you check the Teradata system messages in EventLog (Windows) or /var/log/messages (Linux) why vprocs are fatal?

How do you resolve the FATAL issue?

Dieter
Highlighted
Enthusiast

No, it's not a demo system, it is a testing system and reboots are more often than in production environment. I have read stopping and restarting the system, and by default the database should start. However sometimes after reboot I get fatal vprocs. That is definitely not expected. So, checking messages did not throw more light in this problem, but next time I see this issue again I will paste the messages output here. Thanks so much for your help.
Teradata Employee

are the devices ready when system reboots and TD starts up?