Download a working Teradata app with sample tables

Database
Enthusiast

Download a working Teradata app with sample tables

Hi,

I've tried a few ways to download Teradata & connect to a sample database to run some queries for syntax practice.

I'm having trouble with finding & connecting a Teradata database that I can use with the Teradata download.

I find that I can follow instructions that advise to download Teradata or Teradata Express (which apparently allows a connection via VM ware) but they offer vague details about what to do. I also downloaded the VM ware but cannot find a simple list of instructions to follow to get me to the point where I can run queries on that sample data.

Can anyone advise the best way to get started with Teradata connected to a sample db?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Senior Apprentice

Re: Download a working Teradata app with sample tables

Hi,

(Sorry for the delayed response, laptop issues...)

It doesn't really matter which TD version you download, better to use a later one (16.10 or 16.20). You typically have a choice of sizes, for what you're doing right now I'd use the 4GB or 40GB one (you won't need that amount of disk space, those are just maximum sizes).

Start vmplayer, use CTRL+O and find the 'vmxf' file in your TD express folder.

Select the  vm (in vmplayer) and then click 'start'. This is the VM equivalent of powering up a computer.

Give it a couple of minutes and you should see a ('fetching'?) grey linux logon screen. Then see my first answer for what to do.

In your screen shot above use the 'open a virtual machine' option and navigate to the folder where you downloaded the TD express vm.

Cheers,

Dave

Ward Analytics Ltd - information in motion
www: http://www.ward-analytics.com
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
5 REPLIES
Senior Apprentice

Hi,

I think there are a few steps to go through to get you up and running.

Let's start with the software that you need and the overall approach.

- you need the Teradata express VM downloaded to a machine (for now I'll assume it's a laptop/desktop machine that is being used)

- you need VMPlayer or VMWare Workstation will allow you to run the Teradata VM

- you need a client tool that allows you to logon to Teradata, type in SQL and then run that sql. If you're starting then best bet is Teradata Studio (either full or Express, it doesn't matter). If you're using a Windows client then you could also use SQL Assistant (SQLA).

Download and install the software.

- start VMPlayer and then "file/open" to find the Teradata vm system.

- start the vm

You now need to find out the ip address of the Teradata VM.

- login to the linux system (using 'root' as both userid and password - all lowercase letters for both)

- open up a terminal window and type: ifconfig (linux equivalent-ish of 'ipconfig'). You'll spot the ip address in there (inet address), make a note of it. This is from one of my systems, the ip address below is 192.168.23.10

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0C:29:87:0E:6A  
          inet addr:192.168.23.10  Bcast:192.168.23.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::20c:29ff:fe87:e6a/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:7 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:7 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:1179 (1.1 Kb)  TX bytes:578 (578.0 b)

- whilst you're here, type in the following command: pdestate -a

This will tell you whether the dbms itself is up and running (may take a few minutes on a vm). My system shows:

PDE state is RUN/STARTED.
DBS state is 5: Logons are enabled - The system is quiescent

On your client system:

- try to ping the Teradata system using the ip address noted above. Assuming this works then you now have network connectivity to your Teradata system.If it doesn't work, stop and fix this issue.

- start your client tool (I'll assume you're using TD Studio).

- in the 'Data Source' explorer window (left-hand side), right-click 'Database Connections' and choose 'New'

- choose 'Teradata' as the type and provide a name at the bottom (e.g. myTD)

- 'Database server name' is the IP address for the TD system

- for name and password use DBC (not case sensitive). 'DBC' is the Teradata system user like 'root' for unix/linux systems.

- click 'Finish' and Studio should connect you straight away.

To run a query, type some SQL into the sql editor' and press F5.

As a simple example try:

SELECT *
FROM DBC.DBCInfoV;

If all of that works then you have your system up and running and running some SQL.

To find out what databases are available on the system you can:

- expand the database tree in Studio

- run the following query

select databasename,dbkind
 from dbc.databasesv
 order by 1;

There may be some 'sample' databases such as Retail, Financial, Manufacturing (not sure if those are still included with TD Express).

NOTE: the above ip address will possibly not work if you stop/start the VM because it is )normally) a DHCP assigned ip. We'll handle that later if necessary.

HTH

Dave

Enthusiast

Thanks DaveWellman!

That's very helpful, I'll explain where I'm at now.

I downloaded the VM Ware player & installed it on my laptop.

I'm using this page for my downloads, is this the correct one to use?

If so, which ones specifically, should I download?

I opened it but I don't see a file/open option.

Maybe I have the wrong download?

Also, I have a 64 bit Windows 7 o/s.

Can you help me further from here?

I've attaced a snapshot of the VM Ware once installed & opened.

Thanks Welcome to VM Player.PNG

Highlighted
Enthusiast

Senior Apprentice

Hi,

(Sorry for the delayed response, laptop issues...)

It doesn't really matter which TD version you download, better to use a later one (16.10 or 16.20). You typically have a choice of sizes, for what you're doing right now I'd use the 4GB or 40GB one (you won't need that amount of disk space, those are just maximum sizes).

Start vmplayer, use CTRL+O and find the 'vmxf' file in your TD express folder.

Select the  vm (in vmplayer) and then click 'start'. This is the VM equivalent of powering up a computer.

Give it a couple of minutes and you should see a ('fetching'?) grey linux logon screen. Then see my first answer for what to do.

In your screen shot above use the 'open a virtual machine' option and navigate to the folder where you downloaded the TD express vm.

Cheers,

Dave

Enthusiast

Thanks Dave!

You are a Legend!

I'm up & running but I'm glad I found someone with the knowledge & patience to step me through this as it's not straightforward.

Thanks again.

Pete