Dynamic Table Name

Database

Dynamic Table Name

Hi,

I wish to create table in teradata database having dynamic name e.g., having month suffixed at the end
For example, code will create table as abc.sales_July2011
where abc is the database, July is current month - which will change to August in next month and so on
also 2011 will change in next year.

let me know if I need to provide more details.

Please suggest. Thanks

Regards,
DILIPandey, Excel MVP
4 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Dynamic Table Name

Are you creating multiple tables or renaming the existing table?
Are all of these tables supposed to be created initially or are they created as needed?

Thanks Mnylin for taking interest in this.

Yes, I need to create multiple tables in Teradata.
I am having few sql codes which I need to run in every month and each sql code will create one table in the beginning of code execution and this will be a monthly exercise going forward. What I need as a help is that when I run these codes in following months, how can I avoid manually effort to update each sql code, which is the current scenario right now i.e. currently the table is getting created as abc.sales_July2001, in the next month I would update the sql code to create table as abc.sales_August2011 and so on.

Yes, these tables are getting created initially and then every month going forward.

Let me know if I need to provide more information.

Thanks,
DILIPandey, Excel MVP
Enthusiast

If the rest of the table definition remains the same, you could use BTEQ to generate and run a SQL script with the necessary table names. The snippet would look something like this:

.EXPORT REPORT FILE="file_to_run.sql";

SELECT 'CREATE TABLE abc.sales_'||CAST((CAST(CURRENT_DATE AS FORMAT 'MMMYYYY')AS VARCHAR(20)))||' AS abc.sales_template WITH NO DATA AND STATISTICS;' (TITLE '') FROM DBC.DBCInfo WHERE INFOKEY='RELEASE';

.EXPORT RESET;

.RUN FILE "file_to_be_run.sql";

thanks Mnylin for your reply.

Though I am very new to Teradata and not aware of BTEQ, but would still try and understand the method suggested by you. If I get stuck at any point, I will get back to you. Many thanks for your help.

Regards,
DILIPandey
Dilip