EOF encountered before End of Record; Fload and Multiload

Database
Enthusiast

EOF encountered before End of Record; Fload and Multiload

Hello All

We have this problem with both Fload and Mload;

We have pipe delimited text file- not too big- a million or sometimes 2 mill records; Running loads from Windows Command prompt;

I tried implementing all I could find on internet knowledge base with little avail;

The loads abend with 'EOF encountered before end of record'

I tried all possible solutions suggested; i.e add a carriage return at at the end of last record, removing it etc. Nothing seems to work;

Some folks have earlier suggested a hex value - Unfortunately i can get hold of an hex editor to check what resides at the end of the file(If a file can be opened in windows does it not mean that these have been taken care of?)

Strange observations

1) Sometimes multiload reads and loads the file that fails with EOF error when using fastload

2) Bteq is able to read and load the same file- I can't however use it for million records

3) If I save the file as xlsx and then again save as .csv, I'm able to load the files using Mload (not fload)

4) TPT script errors out without even telling what error it is;

I don't understand whether the problem lies with windows encoding or on the teradata side. Is there something definitive i could do to make this problem go away?  Our group does have budget for an ETL tool - no use porting to Hadoop as we dont have other requisite data on it (We have had a host of problems with querygrid)

Regards

2 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: EOF encountered before End of Record; Fload and Multiload

I think you need to find a way to examine the last record.  You could get awk for windows (e.g. http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/gawk.htm) and do something like:

gawk '{LastLine = $0} \

END {print LastLine}' <your-file-name>

from the cmd line.  Or you could ftp the file to a UNIX system and do: tail -1 <your-file-name>.  If you do:

tail -1 <your-file-name> | hd

then you can see it in hex.

Unfortunately I don't think Windows comes with anything like a tail or hd command.

Enthusiast

Re: EOF encountered before End of Record; Fload and Multiload

Thanks a ton for your reply. Will explore if i can use it