Encryption in Teradata

Database
Enthusiast

Encryption in Teradata

Hi All,

How encryption happens in Teradata? What are the different levels of encryption defined in Teradata? And of course decryption too.

Thanks,

Dinesh

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Encryption in Teradata

Encryption can be when you do backup to tapes....

You can develop UDFs as per your requirement too. There are tools available , working along with teradata and  hadoop too. 

For client say for eg ,when you use tpt  you can add DataEncryption = 'ON'

odbc configuration:

When Enable Data Encryption is checked – the option directs the ODBC Driver to use Data Encryption, causing ODBC Driver for Teradata and Teradata Database to communicate with each other in encrypted manner.

When Enable Data Encryption is cleared–Data Encryption is disabled.

Try to check TeraGSS.

Enthusiast

Thanks for the info Raja.

So, Teradata doesn't have any inbuilt encryption mechanism to protect the data? Like storing the row values in tables with encrypted form. I have seen few UDFs for encrypting the data while storing in table.

Thanks,

Dinesh

Enthusiast

It has. You can go through this link and see FDE. I thin this is what you are looking for.

http://www.info.teradata.com/edownload.cfm?itemid=140900012

It is chapter 9, where you can see password, message..... FDE

Also in-flight encryption and decryption is safe as I highligted above.

Enthusiast

If your asking if Teradata has native functions to provide data encryption outside of the password fields in DBC and a few other system tables, then the answer is no.  Generally, you would have to go with a 3rd party tool to provide data at rest encrpyption, or as Raja mentions build your own UDF's to do something of that nature.  Teradata's client utilities do provide over the wire encryption as mentioned above.  

Enthusiast

Thanks Raja and Tuen.