Error 3706 on simple "select * from Table"... appears to be client related

Database
Enthusiast

Error 3706 on simple "select * from Table"... appears to be client related

This is the craziest thing I've run into in quite a while.  It is probably something really stupid, so I'm ready for that.  My DBAs created 2 new views; one of them I can query without issue.  The other one is named "GTM_ABCDE_FGHIJKL_MNOP_QRST_VW"  (the view name was changed to protect the innocent... but note that it starts with "GTM", and the real view name is this same length).

When doing a simple "select * " on this view, I consistently get the error "3706 - Syntax Error - Data Type GTM does not match a defined type name.".  I get this same error in SQL Assistant (.NET), in Teradata Studio (JDBC) and in Teradata Administrator (ODBC).  I have tried typing the query in manually, I have tried letting SQL Assistant and Teradata Studio generate the query, I have tried specifying all the column names... no matter what, i get this same error.  I have tried changing the sharacter set in Teradata Studio.  The DBAs and another developer can all query this same view without issue.  I tried Skyping into the other developer's computer and I logged into his instance of SQL Assistant... and I did not get the error on his computer.  So it can't be tied to my user access, it has to be my query software, configuration or somethng on my computer.  Any ideas?  I don't mind admitting, we are stumped here.

Tags (1)

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Enthusiast

Re: Error 3706 on simple "select * from Table"... appears to be client related

This is solved... it turned out that the error was returned from a function in an underlying view that was not qualified by tablename, so some groups could select from the view (and execute the function) without error, while some could not.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
2 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Update, this error is NOT client specific... another developer tried it and he also gets the same error.  We created another version of the view with a different name, it still has the same error... including the reference to "GTM" (even though the new view is not named GTM).  So now we are thinking this might relate to one of the underlying views.  As another test, I had a DBA remote into my computer and use his credentials, he does not get the error on my computer.  So this now appears to be user related, as opposed to client related.

Highlighted
Enthusiast

This is solved... it turned out that the error was returned from a function in an underlying view that was not qualified by tablename, so some groups could select from the view (and execute the function) without error, while some could not.