Events missing from LogonOffV

Database
Teradata Employee

Events missing from LogonOffV

Hi Folks,

I am trying to investigate an issue reported by user (userid: xyz) where he is able to login to SQLA using his correct credentials but unable to login through applications like Alteryx and Tableau. The error message received is The UserId, Password or Account is invalid. Surprisingly these failed logon events are not getting captured in LogonOff.

I have checked that the user id is not locked. I am also certain that correct userid and password is being used to login.

Whilst troubleshooting I have tried a couple of things -

1. Tried to login using other userid from the same machine. Result: Successfully able to login and can see the Logon event in LogonOffV.

2. Tried to login using bad password for the same user id xyz. Result: Same Error message received, however Bad password event is logged in LogonOffV.

Could someone please share their thoughts on reasons behind such behaviour?

Thanks,

Abhinav

Accepted Solutions
Teradata Employee

Re: Events missing from LogonOffV

Which driver / version is being used?

Does the user's password contain a special character? Try putting the password in quotes  "..." or doubling/escaping the special character, e.g. @@ or \@@

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
3 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

i would check to be sure Tableau has the correct database information. it sounds like the actual DB connection string is the problem, not the log in.

update: never mind; i didn't read your question properly.

abhinavtd wrote:

Hi Folks,

I am trying to investigate an issue reported by user (userid: xyz) where he is able to login to SQLA using his correct credentials but unable to login through applications like Alteryx and Tableau. The error message received is The UserId, Password or Account is invalid. Surprisingly these failed logon events are not getting captured in LogonOff.

I have checked that the user id is not locked. I am also certain that correct userid and password is being used to login.

Whilst troubleshooting I have tried a couple of things -

1. Tried to login using other userid from the same machine. Result: Successfully able to login and can see the Logon event in LogonOffV.

2. Tried to login using bad password for the same user id xyz. Result: Same Error message received, however Bad password event is logged in LogonOffV.

Could someone please share their thoughts on reasons behind such behaviour?

Thanks,

Abhinav

Teradata Employee

Which driver / version is being used?

Does the user's password contain a special character? Try putting the password in quotes  "..." or doubling/escaping the special character, e.g. @@ or \@@

Teradata Employee

Thanks Fred. The issue resolved after the user changed the password to exclude any special characters (comma in this case). Do you think you can provide more info to explain why the login fails with invalid username or password but fails to log the event in LogonOffV?

We also tried to login using the old password (with comma) after enclosing it in double quotes. It worked in Alteryx but didn't worked in Tableau.

Tableau Ver 9.3

Alteryx Ver 10.3

ODBC Drivers