Export from SQL Server to Teradata Temp tables

Database
Enthusiast

Export from SQL Server to Teradata Temp tables

Hello.  I am trying to export data from SQL server to a temporary table in Teradata.  The temp table will then be joined to a view in Teradata, and the results exported back to SQL server.  I've tried doing this in SSIS, but have not been successful.  Any help would be greatly appreaciated!  Thanks.

13 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Export from SQL Server to Teradata Temp tables

Any specific need of using temp table? And is it global temporary or volatile table?

Teradata Employee

Also, any specific error you are facing?

Enthusiast

Richard,

Whats the issue you are facing with SSIS? 

Khurram
Enthusiast

Can you please also tell how much data do you have to process?

Khurram
Enthusiast

Thanks Adeel and Saeed for your responses.  I don't have permission to create a permanent table on the server. (What is the difference between a global table and a permanent table?) A global table would be great if it persists on the server.  I tried creating a temp table through an OLE DB connection to Teradata, but it didn't recognize keyword Volatile.  I am using an OLE DB dataflow source in SSIS to retrieve data from SQL Server for the temp table.  This pulls 170 records. I then need to join this new temp table with a view to filter data in Teradata.  The view returns about 50K records.  The result set needs to be exported back to SQL server.  Please advise how to create and populate a temp table in Teradata with data from SQL Server, join to a view, and export the results back to SQL Server.

Enthusiast

Thanks again!

Teradata Employee

You could use Global Temporary Table, and yes they persist on the server.

Other way around is to just pull the data to MS SQL Server and make this join there.

Enthusiast

Thanks Adeel!  I'm looking at creating a global table through an ADO connection to Teradata.  If I'm not able to create the table, I'll pull it to SQL Server as you suggested.

Teradata Employee

Welcome Richard! :)