Extracting Domain Names from EMAIL_TXT Field

Database

Extracting Domain Names from EMAIL_TXT Field

I am new to TD and am attempting to pull the domain names (.com, .net, .ca) from email address.    SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT(email_txt)) FROM sch.table WHERE email_txt  LIKE  ('%us');  An issue I run into is for the domains that I do not know.  How to use SELECT TRIM or SELECT SUBSTR to count and group the ones that are not known?  Another issue is some are 3 CHARS like .com and some being 2 CHARS like .ca  Any thoughts?  Help is appreciated.  Cheers!!

7 REPLIES
Junior Contributor

Re: Extracting Domain Names from EMAIL_TXT Field

You might try:

trim(leading '.' from substring(email_address from char_length(x) -2))

Dieter

Enthusiast

Hi,

Try the below. I hope it will give you expected result

sel emialtext,substr(emailtext,index(emailtext,'.')) from sch.table where emailtext like '%.%'

Venkat

Teradata Employee

Dneoth i have one question

I have 2 strings

I need to substr it from first position till the second dot if i substr(id,1,11) then its going wrong coz if the id is like 10374263.144.1 then the case will go wrong plus  substr will fail the join in this 10371676.2.1 too can u please suggest me the solution

Junior Contributor

Wha's your TD release?

In TD14 there's a built-in INSTR to find the #2 dot for the SUBSTRING or REGEXP_SUBSTR, before that you might check what UDFs have been installed.

Otherwise it's ugly nesting of POSITIONTSUBSTRING:

SUBSTRING(x FROM 1 FOR POSITION('.' IN x) + POSITION('.' IN SUBSTRING(x FROM POSITION('.' IN x)+1)) -1)

Dieter

Teradata Employee

TD 14 thanx alot it worked (Y)

Teradata Employee

I Have another issue again i have 2 ids & i need to join then

id 1 = 10126409.1

another example of id 1 is  10126409.13

and 

ID 2 = 10037765.1.

Another example of id 2 is 10769022.11.

how can i join them if i use the above suggested query its not goin to join on all ids.

Enthusiast

Seems like these are just two decimal values which you are joining upon. Why do you think a simple join with equal sign won't work?