FULL PRIMARY INDEX

Database
Enthusiast

FULL PRIMARY INDEX

HI at all

I´m new on Teradata and I'm studying the TPUMP utility from official documentation "Teradata Parallel Data Pump".

At some point in the chapter 1 section "What it Does" the document tells:

"The Teradata TPump task provides the acquisition of data from client files for application to

target tables through INSERT, UPDATE, or DELETE statements that specify the full primary

index."

What I want ask is, if possible, what's full primary index? What i know about database is primary index or UNIQUE primary index but I never heard full primary index!

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES
Senior Apprentice

Re: FULL PRIMARY INDEX

Full simply means all columns of the PI, e.g. if it's PI(colA,colB,colC) you must specify all three in the WHERE-condition.

Dieter

Enthusiast

Hi dnoeth, thanks for the immediate response.

Sorry, but I have not all clear and I have an other request for you.  If  we do an INSERT operation where do we specify the full primary index? ...INSERT statement has not the WHERE clause!

thanks.

Enthusiast

Hi  ,

FULL primary Index is refered in case of Conditional Deletes/Updates..not in the case of Insert/Select..

so dont worry abt that..

Cheers!

Enthusiast

Nishant....Bhardwaj says:

FULL primary Index is refered in case of Conditional Deletes/Updates..not in the case of Insert/Select..

but in the documentation is not specified this. What the documentation says is " ...... through INSERT, UPDATE, or DELETE statements that specify the full primary index."

Teradata Employee

Full primary index is .... as Dieter said .... combination of all PI columns.

Every statement .... INSERT, UPDATE or DELETE .... does use PI in one way or another .... but you dont have to specify anything in INSERT .... and its not even necessary to do so in UPDATE or DELETE, you may use full PI or partial PI or any column other than PI.

Your INSERT statement will work fine even if you dont mention any PI in WHERE clause.