Fastload: Can it Transfer data from One table to another Empty table?

Database

Fastload: Can it Transfer data from One table to another Empty table?

Folks,

I have just stepped in Teradata world.

Have a query on Fastload.

1. Can Fastload be used to Transfer Data from Table A to Table B [Empty table]?

2. If yes, does it need to use the INMOD functionality to read data from Table A?

3. In this case, From Performance point of view, which one is best a] Fastload b] Using SQL to Transfer data. And Why?

Best,

Adi

4 REPLIES
Senior Apprentice

Re: Fastload: Can it Transfer data from One table to another Empty table?

Hi Adi,

#1: yes, insert/select

#2: of course not

#3: b) Insert/Select into an empty table is highly optimized without Transient Journal (even better when PI/partitioning match and column definition, too)

Dieter

Hi Dieter,

Thanks for response!

Could you please post syntax of Fastload reading from table?

Also the no of sessions we provide in Fastload script, how do we decide on that. Say I want to load a 20 GB file. It would not be nice to specify sessions which takes too much resources.

So how do we decide on Optimum session number so as NOT to strain the system and get the job done optimally?

Again, Thanks for response!!

Best,

Adi

Senior Apprentice

Hi Adi,

sorry, i was wrong for #1, you can't use Ins/Sel in a FastLoad, only Delete and Drop/Create Table is allowed (before BEGIN LOADING).

But there's no need to use FastLoad for that purpose, simply run it as-is using BTEQ.

Dieter

Thanks Dieter.

Could you share how to determine no of sessions for fastload optimally without straining system resources and getting job done optimally?

Best,

ADi