Full OuterJoin Issue

Database
Fan

Full OuterJoin Issue

Hi All,

I have two Full Outer Join Queries like below,

Select * from A full outer join B on A.Col1=B.Col1 where A.Col2='value';

Select * from B full outer join A on A.Col1=B.Col1 where A.Col2='value';

Though the Result of the two queries are exactly same , when I try to Insert the result of the above queries in to table , some records are missing from the first Query , and From the second Query the record count is correct.

Can you tell me what is the difference .?

7 REPLIES
Junior Contributor

Re: Full OuterJoin Issue

You wrote FULL join but in fact both are LEFT/RIGHT joins, simply check explain.

A WHERE-condition on the inner table removes the outer join, resulting in:

Select * from A LEFT join B on A.Col1=B.Col1 where A.Col2='value';
Select * from B RIGHT join A on A.Col1=B.Col1 where A.Col2='value';

But both still return the same result, so you should provide more details like the actual SQLs and the DDL. Is the target table empty?

Fan

Hi , 

Yes the result of the two queries is same , Please find the below SQL and target table ddl,

SLQ Removed at Posters Request:

While I try to insert the data from above query to the mentioned target table , Some records are missing.

Thanks,

..Raja

NOTICE: Poster notified us of the existence of Customer Proprietry Information within the SQL, so it has been removed by DevX Admin's. Forum users are reminded that this is  a public web site and that they are responsible for any content they chose to post here.
Junior Contributor

Hi Raja,

it's hard to tell, there's no obvious issue.

Can you compare both Explains (SEL vs. INS/SEL) if there's any difference?

Or do a SEL 1 EXCEPT ALL SEL 2 to see the actual different rows?

Fan

Hi ,

There is no difference between the Results, Both Queries return the same no of records ,

The Problem is while inserting the records , some records are not inserted into the target table while inserting from the above query.

Thanks,

..Raja

Enthusiast

For analysis purpose, you can load both into some temporary tables. Once loaded, then you can  compare the missing records, how it happens.

Fan

The Target table it self is a Temporary Table.

Enthusiast

By temporary :) , I mean a table (not VTT) where you can load and do an analysis. If you get a diff , perhaps, then you can narrow down the doubts.