Getting a person's exact age

Database
Enthusiast

Getting a person's exact age

Hi,

how do i write an SQL in teradata to compare the DOB and current date to get the exact age? I can't do a (current_date - DOB) / 365 as it is not that accurate due to leap yrs...
5 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Getting a person's exact age

you may try this:

select ((current_date - date '1990-10-31') year(4)) as age
Enthusiast

Thanks. I just realise I need to add the year(4)...
Enthusiast

select ( cast('2012-01-01' as date) - cast('1989-01-04' as date)) year(4) as abc;

This similar query returns age 23  three days before the person turns 23, so the YEAR(4) format isn't adjusting for leap years either.

Enthusiast

This does work to the exact date for specific dates:

SELECT (EXTRACT(YEAR FROM DATE '2012-01-04') - EXTRACT(YEAR FROM DATE '1989-01-04') (NAMED YEARS))

+ CASE WHEN DATE '2012-01-04' - (YEARS (INTERVAL YEAR)) < DATE '1989-01-04'

THEN -1 ELSE 0 END AS age_whole_yrs;

Or for use with the current date and a birth date in your database:

SELECT (EXTRACT(YEAR FROM CURRENT_DATE) - EXTRACT(YEAR FROM brth_dt) (NAMED YEARS))

+ CASE WHEN CURRENT_DATE - (YEARS (INTERVAL YEAR)) < brth_dt

THEN -1 ELSE 0 END AS age_whole_yrs;

Enthusiast

Hi JJx5,

One problem I found with this age calculation - The calculation errors out when the date you are calculating from is 2/29/yyyy. Because you are subtracting years from this date it can result in an invalid date error (eg - 2/29/2011).

The best age calculation I have found is:

(EXTRACT(YEAR FROM ((CAST(CURRENT_DATE AS DATE)-CAST(birth_date AS DATE)) YEAR(4) TO MONTH))) - 

CASE WHEN EXTRACT(MONTH FROM CURRENT_DATE) = EXTRACT(MONTH FROM BIRTH_DATE) AND EXTRACT(DAY FROM BIRTH_DATE) > EXTRACT(DAY FROM CURRENT_DATE) THEN 1 ELSE 0 END AS age

I have yet to find any case where this does not work, but I am sure there is at least one case out there somewhere.

-Kevin