[HELP] How to collect statistics...

Database
Enthusiast

[HELP] How to collect statistics...

Hi all...i would like to know how can i collect statistics on only one of a table's partions...
Could someone suggest me the better way to find out a resolution to my doubt?...Thank for your interesting!!!
5 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: [HELP] How to collect statistics...

Hey no one can help me??
Senior Apprentice

Hi karmakoma,
you can't collect stats on a single partition.
But at least you can collect stats on the pseudo-column PARTITION, which is really fast.

Dieter
Enthusiast

What's the pseudo-column??...canun make me and exemple please?...i'ld be really happy!!
Senior Apprentice

Hi karmakoma,
if a table is partitioned, there's always a column named PARTITION, which returns the partition number.

You can "collect stats on table column partition", it's much faster than "collect stats on table column partitioning_column" and it still helps the optimizer, bacause he knows about number of partitions with data.

Dieter
Enthusiast

Yes. Dieters option would work out.

If a partition is empty it would be left out from the read process even if its not eliminated directly by the query.

But this facility is available only from V2R6 and i guess its not available in V2R5.

Collecting stats on the system derived column Partition is faster because rather than reading all the base table rows, it usually just scans the cylinder index for that PPI table
and collects information from that.

Regards,
Annal T