HOW TO ADD ROW NUMBER BASED A COMPLEX CONSTRAINT

Database
Enthusiast

HOW TO ADD ROW NUMBER BASED A COMPLEX CONSTRAINT

Hello,

I have a data set like this

1.PNG

I want to add the 7th column (highlighted in orange) based on first six columns. For each consecutive two rows, the criteria is to first check whether "ID", "START_DT" and "KEYWORD" are the same, if yes, then check "PAGE_ID", if "PAGE_ID" is different then previous one ("PAGE_ID" is already ordered), then "IDX" stays the same, otherwise "IDX" will be one unit larger.

If either of "ID", "START_DT", and "KEYWORD" is different from previous row, then "IDX" will be one unit larger.

I think the result can be generated by using row_number and reset with, but I'm not sure about the details, here's my code but it has syntax error, can anyone help me with it?

SEL ID,
SEQNUM,
START_DT,
KEYWORD,
PAGE_ID,

ITEM_LIST,
ROW_NUMBER() OVER (RESET WHEN (ID <> MIN(ID) OVER (ROWS BETWEEN 1 PRECEDING AND 1 PRECEDING)
OR START_DT <> MIN(START_DT) OVER (ROWS BETWEEN 1 PRECEDING AND 1 PRECEDING)

OR KEYWORD <> MIN(KEYWORD) OVER (ROWS BETWEEN 1 PRECEDING AND 1 PRECEDING)
OR PAGE_ID = MIN(PAGE_ID) OVER (ROWS BETWEEN 1 PRECEDING AND 1 PRECEDING))) AS IDX
FROM mytable;

Thanks a lot!

Lorraine

6 REPLIES
Junior Contributor

Re: HOW TO ADD ROW NUMBER BASED A COMPLEX CONSTRAINT

How is your data sorted?

There's no ROW_NUMBER without specifying ORDER BY.

Teradata Employee

You want to use RANK() with TIES DENSE, not Row_number().  RESET won't work because it will start counting again with 1!  So you need to derive another value from PAGE_ID to reflect what you really want.  Try something like this:

select ID, SEQNUM, START_DT, KEYWORD, PAGE_ID, ITEM_LIST
 ,Rank() Over(order by ID, SEQNUM, START_DT, derivedPAGE_ID With Ties Dense) as IDX
From (select ID, SEQNUM, START_DT, KEYWORD, PAGE_ID, ITEM_LIST
    ,Min(PAGE_ID) Over(partition by ID, START_DT, KEYWORD
                         order by ID, SEQNUM, START_DT, KEYWORD, PAGE_ID
                         rows between 1 preceding and 1 preceding) prevPAGE_ID
    ,(case when PrevPAGE_ID is null then PAGE_ID
      when PAGE_ID = PrevPAGE_ID then SEQNUM+PAGE_ID
      else PrevPAGE_ID end) derivedPAGE_ID
    FROM mytable) DT
;

Enthusiast

My data is sorted by 'id', 'start_dt', 'keyword', 'seqnum' and some other columns not shown in the table.  I have created a new column  'RNUM' (highlighted in blue) to represent the order, which is the actual row number of each records.

2.PNG

Enthusiast

Hi GJColeman,

Thanks for your answer, but the result is not what I expected. I didn't find the use of 'Ties Dense' in teradata online, could you elaborate it a little?

Enthusiast

Thank you all for your guidance, I have figured out the code myself, which is 

SEL RNUM,
ID,
START_DT,
SEQNUM,
KEYWORD,
PAGE_ID,
CASE WHEN PAGE_ID = 1 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END PAGE_ID_IND,
SUM(PAGE_ID_IND) OVER (ORDER BY RNUM ROWS BETWEEN UNBOUNDED PRECEDING AND CURRENT ROW)
FROM mytable
ORDER BY 1, 2, 3, 4, 5;

Thanks!

Junior Contributor

How are  PAGE_ID & RNUM calculated? It might be possible to add the result without an additional STAT-step in Explain.