How PDE increase Teradata performance?

Database

How PDE increase Teradata performance?

Hi experts,

I am new to Teradata. While differentiating Teradata and other traditional database, one of my friend working on Teradata given me an example. That is, there is a Oracle node with 2GHz processor then it will use that speed for all records. But when there is a Teradata node with 2GHz processor having 2 Virtual processor because of PDE the single 2GHz processor acts as two 2GHz processors, each part to access half of the records. So the speed is high as they working parallel. May be true, but I am unable to digest because the total processor capacity is 2GHz then how virtually it can add more capacity to processor?. May be stupid question, please help me on this.

Thanks in advance.

Sri.
5 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: How PDE increase Teradata performance?

PDE is a virtualization layer between the operating system and the DBMS and is an important part of the Teradata architecture. But it doesn't magically provide higher capacity.

Hyperthreading provides some added parallelism at the hardware level - multiple instruction pipelines for a single processor core - independent of what database is running.

Teradata's differentiation is being able to divide up the work for a single request and use all the AMPs in parallel, in order to maximize use of available resources. (There are generally more virtual AMPs defined on a server node than there are hardware cores / hyperthreads.)

Thanks Fred. 

So PDE just boost up performance of system by creating hyperthreads. Can't a Oracle machine do the samething with parallel hints?

Thanks in advance.

Sri.

Teradata Employee

>>> Can't a Oracle machine do the samething with parallel hints?

This is a Teradata forum. Questions about Oracle should be posted to an Oracle forum.

Teradata Employee

PDE doesn't create hyperthreads, and doesn't boost performance.

Teradata's optimizer and architecture are designed to maximize parallelism automatically. See the "Introduction to Teradata" manual available via www.info.teradata.com for more details.

Teradata Employee

CPUs need to be thought of in terms of cores and hyperthreads, not CPU chips. A CPU chip might be 2Ghz but its total power needs to be considered as the number of cores and hyperthreads in the cores. Each of these operates at 2Ghz. Different software implementations take different levels of advantage of multiple hyperthreads, cores, CPU chips and horizontal scaling of servers each of which have many hyperthreads. Teradata is uniqely designed to implement a large number of small units of parallelism that very naturally spread the work out to fully utilize all the hyperthreads of all the cores of all the CPUs of all the servers.