How can I call a stored procedure - which has a returning value - within a trigger?

Database
N/A

How can I call a stored procedure - which has a returning value - within a trigger?

Can I declare any variables within a trigger to store the returning value (OUT parameter, e.g. an INTEGER) from a stored procedure, like this:

CALL stdproc(variableName);

And after that, how can I use this returning value for making decisions inside the trigger (within an IF statement)?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES
N/A

Re: How can I call a stored procedure - which has a returning value - within a trigger?

I don't think you can do that.

How about moving the conditional logic into stdproc or another SP containing a call stdproc?

Dieter

N/A

Re: How can I call a stored procedure - which has a returning value - within a trigger?

OK, now I see. It is solved by putting the conditional statement into the SP, as you suggested. Thanks!

The next step for me would be to getting this code working:

REPLACE PROCEDURE vmtest.p()
BEGIN
DECLARE var1 INTEGER;
WITH P(x,y) AS (SELECT name, e_mail FROM user_nontemp.EMP)
SELECT COUNT(*) INTO var1 FROM P;

IF (var1 > 1)
THEN ABORT 'Aborted.';
END IF;
END;

I've already tried it in a lot of ways, but it always refuses the using of the WITH clause. It is in connection with my previous topic, only in a simplified case:

http://forums.teradata.com/forum/database/problem-with-enforcing-temporal-ri-with-triggers-in-td-13-...

How about this problem?

N/A

WITH seems not to be supported within SPs, you have to write it the old way using a Derived Table:

REPLACE PROCEDURE vmtest.p()
BEGIN
DECLARE var1 INTEGER;
SELECT COUNT(*) INTO var1 FROM (SELECT name, e_mail FROM user_nontemp.EMP) as p;

IF (var1 > 1)
THEN ABORT 'Aborted.';
END IF;
END

Dieter

N/A

Hm, I guessed similar causes... The conventional way is ok, unless I try to use the TD_NORMALIZE_MEET function, which requires the WITH clause.

Interesting problem. And also a bit annoying by now... :)

They claim that:

From the aspect of integrity assurance, the best way to guarantee the referential integrity of a

table without taking advantage of a declarative standard or batch referential constraint is to

use a procedural constraint such as a set of triggers to handle inserts, updates, and deletions to

the tables in the relationship.

The following are suggested queries that can be used to validate temporal referential

constraints in a child table: Examples...

The examples are working fine, but not inside a trigger or a stored procedure.

(APPENDIX D from Temporal Table Support reference: http://www.info.teradata.com/edownload.cfm?itemid=102320064)