How to change the export width to 2 bytes per characte

Database
Enthusiast

How to change the export width to 2 bytes per characte

https://info.teradata.com/htmlpubs/DB_TTU_16_00/General_Reference/B035-1098-160K/dyw1473446449359.ht... has the following statement:

The export width of Unicode columns with the UTF-8 client character set could limit PERM rows to less than 1 MB because record parcels are limited to 1 MB. This occurs because the default export width for Unicode columns with the UTF-8 client character set is 3 bytes per character. Change the export width to 2 bytes per character to work around this issue.

My question is: how to change export width in TPT and BTEQ? 

Accepted Solutions
Teradata Employee

Re: How to change the export width to 2 bytes per characte

See the International Character Set Support manual. You can't do it specifically for TPT or BTEQ, or a specific export.

You would use the ReplaceExportDefinition stored procedure to add a custom definition, and then specify that EXPORTWIDTH definition name at the user level (MODIFY USER).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
3 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

See the International Character Set Support manual. You can't do it specifically for TPT or BTEQ, or a specific export.

You would use the ReplaceExportDefinition stored procedure to add a custom definition, and then specify that EXPORTWIDTH definition name at the user level (MODIFY USER).

Enthusiast

Thank you @Fred,

So this is a user-level setting, can I apply it to at role level? I have a dozen of ETL IDs, it is easy to miss a few ID when I add new one to the group.

Teradata Employee

A custom export width definition can only be specified at the individual User level, and not at the Profile level.

(Role level is only for permissions.)