How to create a datawarehouse

Database
Enthusiast

How to create a datawarehouse

Hello everyone, 

I want to create a Dataware house, I have a script in T-SQL (Microsoft SQL SERVER), I can convert that script into Teradata but from step-6, I'm Unable to convert that T-SQL code.kindly anyone gets me out of this or if anyone has sample code of Dataware house creation kindly send me.

Here the link to that script "https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/652108/Create-First-Data-WareHouse".

thanx in advance.

3 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: How to create a datawarehouse

From what I can see, there are way too many things that have to be changed.  For example, Teradata doesn't have a MONEY data type, and it uses more descriptively-named functions (such as cast() and to_date()) than "convert()" to change types.  There are so many detailed syntax changes from this non-ANSI language that you would need to build a tool to edit all of it.  (Teradata consulting services has such a tool and uses it when converting applications that have outgrown SQL Server to Teradata, but it is not available to the public.)

Enthusiast

Thanx sir GColeman, what I can do, how I create it.?

Teradata Employee

These scripts are for creating a sample database in SQL Server, so you really need to install SQL Server to run them.  SQL Server syntax is so different from ANSI standard syntax that it would take a long time to read each line in each script, look up the meaning of it and write the same thing in ANSI/Teradata.  You could try that, and you would learn a lot by doing it, but the intent of this whole blog is clearly to force you to use SQL Server and nothing else.