INSERTING THE upside down e "Schwa" into the db enters a question mark

Database
Enthusiast

INSERTING THE upside down e "Schwa" into the db enters a question mark

So the offensing characters are a "schwa" followed byan apostrophe. When I use c# replace method to remove apostrophes it was removing all postrophes except this one tick character

ˈ

that chaacter was precedby the schwa 

Ə

I copied that tick mark to use in the c# replace function and that works fine. However, the schwa is being entered into the teradat dabates as a quesion mark. Can anyone help me out?

5 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: INSERTING THE upside down e "Schwa" into the db enters a question mark

Neither of those characters are in the Teradata Latin repertoire, but both are included in the Teradata Unicode repertoire.

So you would need to define the target column as Unicode to store the values. And you will need to use a session character set other than "ASCII", e.g. UTF8 or UTF16, both for loading and for querying.

Enthusiast

So there's a Unicode data type in teradata that I should be setting it to? And how would I use a session character other than ASCII?

Teradata Employee

In the column definition for CHAR(n) or VARCHAR(n) you can append CHARACTER SET UNICODE.

The way you specify the session (or "client") character set depends on the client you are using.

For "legacy" Teradata utilities, it's a run-time option, and for TPT it's in the script. For ODBC DSNs, there's a drop-down in the configuration dialog on Windows; on Unix/Linux/MacOS use the CharacterSet keyword in the data source specifcation in the odbc.ini file. For JDBC use the CHARSET property for the connection.

Enthusiast

HI and thanks for the reply. Where would I make the client change if I"m using the Teada.NET driver and connecting . NET code?

Teradata Employee

For the .NET provider, it would be the SessionCharacterSet attribute in the ConnectionString.