Idle sessions blocking Production Jobs

Database
Enthusiast

Idle sessions blocking Production Jobs

Hi,

Idle sessions are blocking other Teradata jobs. This is happening with only my userid.
When I ran a query against a table , i got the result in 2 seconds. However the session was idle there after.

A production job (which has some sql on the same table) was beign blocked by my the sql which I ran earlier.

Following is the status when I clicked on "Blocked By" button on teradata manager.
Host ID:1 Session ID:... User:..
Mode: Read
Type: Table

The DBA's had to kill my session , for the Job to complete

Is there a way we can set up aborting of idle sessions from Teradata ? e.g., let's say I want all the idle sessions/connections from Teradata database to terminate after they have remained inactive for 1 mins. Is there a way to do it ?

Is there any setting on the TD SQL Assistant itself.

Thanks
Nick

2 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Idle sessions blocking Production Jobs

NICK,

I would suggest you to do one thing.. If you plan to query any table then Always make a practice of using

Locking table for access

sel .....
from
tablename;

Sql assistant has that option i doubt. But then u may ask ur DBA to write a script exclusively or can be set up in TASM / TDWM

or you can urself disconnect if you feel u wont be accessing TD for next half an hour...

regards
TD_dBA
Enthusiast

Re: Idle sessions blocking Production Jobs

The issue was with my SQL assistant..

The option " Use manual commit mode for ANSI sessions " was checkecd.. Unchecking resolved the issue..

Thanks
Nick