Informatica PowerCenter and Teradata - Conflicting data length for column

Database

Informatica PowerCenter and Teradata - Conflicting data length for column

Hi All,

Please, I'm currently facing an error when using Informatica Powercenter to read Source table from Teradata (V13.10) and inserting records in a target Teradata DB.

However, when a Teradata source (table) definition has a field where the length is shorter than the target correspondent field, we got the following error:

-----

Conflicting data length for column(10) - IRZ_SCIAL. Source column's data length is (70) Target column's data length is (100).

-----

There is no truncation happening. But, Teradata seems that does not allow an insert where columns length are different.

We can overcome this error by manually fixing the involved source column length. Howerver, there are tons of tables to be updated and I' trying to understand why such restriction is applyied by Teradata and if there is a way to bypass this error.

Thanks in advance,

Caroline SiqSzarf

4 REPLIES
Junior Contributor

Re: Informatica PowerCenter and Teradata - Conflicting data length for column

Hi Caroline,

this is not a Teradata restriction, source and target length does not have to match, it must be PowerCenter related.

In a Teradata mode session Teradata happily inserts 20 characters in a VarChar(10) and silently truncates after the 10th character :-)

Only ANSI mode session complain with a "right truncation of string" error message.

Tks Dieter.

So, there is nothing implicet by Teradata that would force such behavior, right?

Because the error showed "TPTRD_306 : [ERROR] Type:(Teradata PT API Error), Error: (TPTAPI_INFRA: API306: Error: Conflicting data length for column(10) - IRZ_SCIAL. Source column's data length is (70) Target column's data length is (100).)" seems to be in the border line.

Tks,

Caroline

Junior Contributor

Hi Caroline,

it's not Teradata, but you should have mentioned that it's a TPT error :-)

TPT is picky about correct length definition, at least when you define an input file.

I don't know about the TPT API stuff, but Steven Feinholz  as the TPT guru might provide further assistance.

Hi,

This is an old thread but of interest to me. 

I am getting the same error while using TPT LOAD connection from Informatica but the issue is that my source and target tables are absolutely identical.

Message Code: TPTRD_306

Message: [ERROR] Type:(Teradata PT API Error), Error: (TPTAPI_INFRA: API306: Error: Conflicting data length for column(4) - billing_type. Source column's data length is (3) Target column's data length is (2).)

I am using UTF-8 connections for TPT EXPORT (READ) as well as TPT LOAD (INSERT).

The two tables reside on two different servers and I have to bring these in sync using Informatica TPT connection.

There are many fields in the table that are defined as Unicode.

But the field in question is defined in the table as LATIN: 

billing_type CHAR(1) CHARACTER SET LATIN NOT CASESPECIFIC

I tried changing the length of target in Informatica mapping (not in the actual table in database) to see if this works but it failed with same error message.

It would be great if someone can help!

Lakhwant