Installation Teradata 13 Express - 64 bit Windows OS.

Database
Enthusiast

Installation Teradata 13 Express - 64 bit Windows OS.

I am trying to install TD 13 Express edition on my laptop which is 64 bit Windows OS. Can anyone help me replying foll:

Is TD 13 on 64 bit available only with VM Ware or we can have it w/out VM Ware if yes how??? Any link

9 REPLIES
Senior Apprentice

Re: Installation Teradata 13 Express - 64 bit Windows OS.

AFAIK TD Express on Windows is 32-bit only.

So you need to run it on VMWare (as an extra benefit you get Teradata on Linux, which is the common Teradata OS nowadays).

Dieter
Enthusiast

Thanks Dieter..!!!
Could you please help me explain the following:
- Is it that Teradata database is not compatible with 32 bit or the odbc is not compatible or all of them are not compatible. The reason for asking is that I found a ODBC driver compatible for TD 13 64 bit.
Also can I install TD 12 on 64 bit or is there any TD 13 version (despite of TD 13 express) that works on 64 bit.
Senior Apprentice

I can't help you with TD Express on 64-bit Windows, i try to avoid Windows as much as possible :-)
The only one i got is a 32-bit XP running in a virtual machine on my Mac.

I think VMWare is the only way to go. I don't know if there will be any future TD Express for Windows 32/64-bit.
At least there's none for TD13.10.

Dieter
Enthusiast

Thanks a lot Dieter..!!!

I am also running into similar scenario. I have a 64 bit Windows 7 O.S with intel t4400 processor. Based on my analysis Teradata Express Edition for windows requires VMWare to run on a 64 bit O.S. I have a hardware limitation here as my processor doesn't support Virtual Technology(VT). Is there any other work around for getting TDE installed without using the VMWare?
Enthusiast

I am running the Win 7 64-Bit and had the VM version running but there were no client tools for Win 7 64-bit. My new solution is to install MicroSoft Virtual PC -XP mode (32-bit) which is free from MS. Then install the 32-bit Teradata Express on that. It seems to work pretty good and integrates better with Win 7 than the VMware. Also you have a place to run all of the Teradata Express tools like SQL Assistant, TD Manager, etc.
Some nice features of XP mode is that it lets you see all of your drives on the Win 7 side as network drives. It does take a while to install with all the windows patches etc, and you will need anti virus on it too since it has a network connection shared with Win 7. I used MS Security Essentials (Also free). I am not a big fan of MS but they seem to have done this right.
dwh
N/A

Do any one know the teradata 13 for windows 64 bit to download the software.

Enthusiast

So finally there is no way to install TDE on Windows 7 OS right ??

N/A

Hi ,

Please provide me the Teradata 13 database for windows 7 64 bit OS

Thanks,

-KOTAVS