Introduction to Teradata Express for VMware Player

Database
The Teradata Database channel includes discussions around advanced Teradata features such as high-performance parallel database technology, the optimizer, mixed workload management solutions, and other related technologies.
Teradata Employee

Introduction to Teradata Express for VMware Player

Teradata Express for VMware (TDE-V) is a free, fully operational Teradata VM with up to one terabyte of storage. Imagine being able to install a fully operational Teradata database on your PC and be running queries in five minutes, easy as 1-2-3.

After installing VMware Server/Player and downloading your choice of VM, this is all it takes:

1. Install the VM
  2. Start the VM and Teradata
  3. Use the Teradata SQL Assistant Java Edition to run queries

To help you load data, the new Teradata EZLoader utility is included in the VM. Also, you can go as far as having a Teradata 12 VM and a Teradata 13 VM running at the same time to easily compare release features and test queries in both environments.

Depending upon your needs and the resources available on your PC, four versions of TDE-V are available: One Terabyte versions of Teradata releases 12 and 13 which require 60 GB of disk space for installation and 40GB versions of Teradata releases 12 and 13 which require 10GB of disk space for installation. A 64-bit virtualization-capable PC is required.  VMware provides a utility to check your system for 64 bit support at this link.

Please note that while the Teradata Express family of products is not officially supported, you can talk to other users and get help in the Cloud Computing forum. Note also that Japanese-language instructions for configuring TDE-V are available for download in PDF format.

Getting Started

The first task is to make sure you have a system capable of handling VMware and VM’s. There are plenty of details on the VMware site but here are some basic requirements that you should be aware of before getting started:

1. Since the SLES10 VM’s are 64-bit, your CPU must support 64-bit operation.
  2. Your CPU must also support Virtualization. Generally there is a BIOS setting which enables this. Google the topic for your particular CPU for more information but most recent PC’s support both 64-bit and Virtualization.

As soon as you determine your system supports the requirements you can proceed:

Figure 1. VMware Server with VM's running

1. VMware Player and VMware Server are both available for free download from the VMware site and both will work. This tutorial describes using VMware Server (hosted on a Windows system). If you have not already done so, make your choice and install VMware on your system.
  2. Disk space is a big consideration. Both 40GB and 1TB versions of TDE-V are available depending on your resources and need. Typically you don't actually need the full amount of available disk space (although this would be advisable) to install and get started. Also, isolating VM’s on their own physical disks (if available) can improve performance. Some additional information about disk space is provided below.
  3. Download the appropriate TDE-V image from the downloads section.
  4. Create a directory on your C:\ drive named "virtual-machines". After unzipping (Winzip) the file you will end up with something like “C:\virtual-machines\TD13..”.
  5. Now you need to add the VM to the VMware inventory. Using VMware Server (see Figure 1 above for reference):
    1. Click on the summary tab (in VMware Web interface)
    2. In the "Commands" window, click on the "Add Virtual machine To Inventory" link
    3. Drill down under inventory, highlight the folder (sles10_TD1300) and item in contents (sles10.vmx), OK
      1. The "Register Virtual Machine" should indicate "Success"
  6. The VM will show up under "Virtual Machines" tab and can be started and stopped
  7. Access new VM using the console
    1. VMWare Server Home Page
      1. Under Inventory, select the VM
      2. Click on the console Tab
      3. Install the console plugin (if necessary)
      4. Click in the window to open up the interface to the virtual machine
  8. Login into the SLES10 VM with username root and password root.
  9. Enter a cop entry in the linux hosts file (/etc/hosts accessible from the linux command line in the VMware console, ie. c:>vi /etc/hosts)
    1. Should be something like "192.168.186.128 hyperjcop1 dbccop1"
    2. Use "/sbin/ifconfig" command on linux vm to find the ipaddress
  10. Teradata is ready to come up (/etc/init.d/tpa start) (See Figure 2)
    1. The pdisks are defined, sysinit is complete, config has been run and the dip scripts are complete.
  11. Test with bteq (bteq is the standard Teradata command line query tool, it can be invoked from the Linux command line in the VMware console, ie. c:>bteq)
  12. bteq (commands)
    1. logon dbc/dbc
    2. dbc
  13. select * from dbcinfo;
  14. quit;

Figure 2. Starting Teradata

Loading Data

On the Teradata version 13 VM’s the new EZloader utility is included for fast and easy data loads. I tested this utility (I’m no sql expert) using a comma separated file and follows and I will mention the steps here to give you an idea:

CREATE user vmtest AS password=vmtest perm=524288000 spool=524288000;

CREATE SET TABLE vmtest.test ,
NO FALLBACK ,
NO BEFORE JOURNAL,
NO AFTER JOURNAL,
CHECKSUM = DEFAULT (
Test_field1 INTEGER,
Test_field2 INTEGER)
PRIMARY INDEX ( Test_field1 );

Create a file called "test" with contents that look something like this:

Run the load utility:

/opt/teradata/client/13.0/tbuild/bin/tdload -f test -u vmtest -p vmtest -t test

That is it, data loaded!

Running Queries

You can use the Teradata SQL Assistant Java Edition (SQLA-JE) to run queries against the database. You can learn more about SQLA-JE, and download SQLA-JE versions for various platforms. It's also included in the VM, and can be invoked from the /teradatasqla directory.

Version space requirements

Package name Version Download size Initial file space required Teradata capacity Initial Teradata PDisk size
Teradata Express 12.0 for VMware (40 GB) 12.0.03.14 2.3 GB 10 GB 40 GB 1.2 GB
Teradata Express 12.0 for VMware (1 TB) 12.0.03.14 2.0 GB 60 GB 1 TB 56 GB
Teradata Express 13.0 for VMware (4 GB) 13.0.0.19 1.9 GB 10 GB 4 GB 320 MB
Teradata Express 13.0 for VMware (40 GB) 13.0.0.19 1.9 GB 10 GB 40 GB 2 GB
Teradata Express 13.0 for VMware (1 TB) 13.0.0.19 2.9 GB 64 GB 1 TB 55 GB
Teradata Express 13.0 for VMware (40 GB, Japanese) 13.0.0.19 1.9 GB 10 GB 40 GB 2 GB

Finally...

Please note that while Teradata Express for VMware is a free, unsupported product, you can talk to other users and ask for help over in the Cloud Computing forum

33 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Introduction to Teradata Express for VMware Player

Is anyone having problems downloading the VMware images? I get a 1KB unreadable file instead of the expected file size. Any ideas?
Teradata Employee

Nevermind...it was my VPN not the download site! Cheers!
Teradata Employee

Glad to hear you got that worked out and thanks for the comment and follow up. The folks at Teradata Labs will be monitoring this Discussion board to help answer questions and make improvements to the downloads, etc.
Teradata Employee

I am having issues with the "small" express 12.0 version. It downloads and unzips fine. Linux boots and the database comes up - except for Amp 1. vproc manager shows:

DBS LOGICAL CONFIGURATION
-------------------------

Vproc Rel. Node Crash Vproc Config Config Cluster/ RcvJrnl/
Number Vproc# ID Movable Count State Status Type Host No. Host Type
------ ------ ------ ------- ----- ------- -------- ------ -------- ---------
0* 1 1-01 Yes 0 ONLINE Online AMP 0 On
1 2 1-01 Yes 0 FATAL Down AMP 0 Off
8192 4 1-01 No 0 ONLINE N/A GTW 1 COP
16383 3 1-01 Yes 0 ONLINE Online PE 1 COP

Any suggestions as to how to fix this?

Teradata Employee

Unzip says that the 1 TB express 12 is corrupt. I have downloaded 2x with the same results each time. Any anyone else have the same issue?

Enthusiast

sk185078 -

I too had the fatal AMP after installing. The logs complained about write errors on the disk.

I performed a sysinit and reran the dip scripts to clear the fatal AMP. This is something you would normally NEVER do as it wipes out all of the database data. Since this was a fresh install and I had no data in the database, I didn't see any harm in trying.

I installed this smaller version on my laptop which just barely meets the hardware requirements. Since you will need terminal access to perform the sysinit, I would advice using Putty (or your terminal emulator of choice) to connect rather than the console window in the VMWare server. The GNOME interface uses system resources which made it difficult for me to perform the work. Working through Putty was just easier.

Let me know if you need any help doing this.
Teradata Employee

I have duplicated the problem with the fatal amp in the 40GB TD12 version. Stay tuned.
Teradata Employee

Folks, we now a "Cloud-Computing" forum dedicated to the initiatives, including Teradata Express for VMware... So, please continue your conversations over there: http://developer.teradata.com/forum/cloud-computing
Teradata Employee

A new version of the TD12, 40GB version should be available shortly, the fatal vproc issue has been resolved.