Is npath built into Teradata 16.10?

Database
Junior Contributor

Re: Is npath built into Teradata 16.10?

I can't check it right now, but I assume that the result will be either returned as a VarChar(32000) Unicode or a CLOB.

When you know this is too large you can simply CAST it to a smaller VarChar. 

In SQL Assistant the max for this "Handle VarChar" option can be increased to 64000, but if it's larger it's always returned as a CLOB.

Teradata Employee

If possible can you try with cast function for the column like sel cast (col1 as varchar(1000)).

Enthusiast

Thanks both for the suggestions but since the ACCUMULATE option lays inside the npath function I don't know how to use a CAST inside it since npath is a compiled function. Maybe it should be addressed by the Teradata programmers that can modify the java classes inside the npath function.

Enthusiast

And as I said before the total length of the actual result of the ACCUMULATE option is less than 250 chars...I really don't know why it triggers the CLOB output type manipulation

Junior Contributor

The LOB message is triggered by the client, SQL Assiastant or Studio.

You simply cast the resulting column returned by nPath:

SELECT cast(dt.job_transition_path as Varchar(10000)) 
Enthusiast

Great advice! Now all's good. I move further now to the next challenge that gave me some headaches, the loading from Studio of the > 1 Mio rows of the bank_web_clicks that dies suddenly after about 30K rows.

Thanks

Teradata Employee

Could you please give ormore details. Are you trying to load a table (or) querying a table having about 30K rows