Is there a way to know if a table is being modified?

Database
Fan

Is there a way to know if a table is being modified?

I'm wondering if it's possible to tell if a table is being updated, appended, etc.? Or if not, if it's possible to tell the update, append, delete, etc. history of a table? I looked in the DBC database but did not find anything promising. If anybody knows how to do this, or where I might look to find out, please help.

Thanks!
2 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Is there a way to know if a table is being modified?

For real-time you can use PMON, but the odds are you will never get the permission to use it! PMON will let you see what step an sql statement is in.

There are also several audit tables you can use. Ask your dba if query logging is enabled and if you can have select access to the query history tables.

Look in DBC for tables beginning DBQL....and check your documentation for more info on this subject.

Fan

Re: Is there a way to know if a table is being modified?

Thanks! I have been looking through the dbcql tables and it looks as if query logging is enabled. But i'm not finding what i'd hoped. Lots of queries logged against the tables but all selects, mostly updating statistics. I believe the primary means of modifying the tables i'm interested in is Informatica jobs, nightly. but i don't see any scripts that would indicate an update. Perhaps Informatica jobs would not be logged as sql statements. It's apparently a very complex web of processes they're launching to update the tables, and not yet consistently running at a given time each night, and so the dba's are not (yet) able to tell me what they're running and when it's running that would affect my tables.

i will see if there's any hope of me (or perhaps the dba's) using pmon to provide me with a heads-up when the tables are being updated.

Appreciate the help!