Left-over spool table found

Database
Enthusiast

Left-over spool table found

Hi all,

I got an different error as below

2667 Left-over spool table found : transaction aborted.

any ideas what this error abt..

Regards,
Youngchap
9 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Left-over spool table found

You hit a fault isolation action due to an internal malfunction. The system recovered by aborting your
query. Usually the aborted query will run successfully when resubmitted.

Some additional diagnostic information should have logged to the system error log. I expect the Teradata Support Center would welcome any additional information about this event that you can provide.
Teradata Employee

As per my knowledge in simpler terms, it happens when a transaction uses the spool of another transaction(for which spool is assigned), reason may be some internal malfunctions as stated. In that scenario the transaction attempting to use the left over spool of ongoing transaction is aborted.

Here even I want to know how spool is allocated transaction wise?
Enthusiast

Hi All,

I am getting the Leftover Spool error frequently..is there any way to avoid this before it occurs??

Regards,
Young chap
Enthusiast

try increasing ur teradata spool space size.... it will work
Enthusiast

Hi ravi,

Can u Justify Your words... upto my knowledge its not a ordinary spool error.....
Enthusiast

Hi Chap,

As per my knowledge system allocated some spool space to running queries.
Sometime what happens system doesnt allocate that much space as required for transaction.
Thats why we get this error.

IF we get error we can recover our job from the point of failures.

Teradata Employee

Left-over spool is always a bug. And the problem is seldom (never?) with the query that gets the 2667 error; as the name implies, some prior transaction did not properly clean up its spool usage.

Short of applying the latest maintenance level (or upgrading database release), there's not much you can do unless you can somehow identify what "unusual" situation is triggering the bug - and avoiding that.

This has nothing to do with spool space LIMIT.
Teradata Employee

One other thought: A database restart removes ALL spool files - so there is a chance that forcing a restart could make encountering "left-over" spool less frequent. It won't actually fix anything, and would help only if the root cause of the left-over spool is something that has happened many times since last restart, but seldom happens now.
Enthusiast

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the clear explanation.