Listing block level compressed tables

Database
Enthusiast

Listing block level compressed tables

Hi all,
It's my understanding that the only way you can tell what tables are block level compressed is by using the Ferret utility. Is this true? Does anyone know the Ferret command to list tables that are BLC'd?

I've only used Ferret to BL-compress existing tables and doing this doesn't update perm sizes in the space tables. The DBA manual states this information can be updated by running the updatepsace utility against the database to revaluate. Can someone please provide the commands needed to achieve this with updatespace? Also, is this something that runs quickly and are there any situations where this shouldn't be run?

Thanks.
Tags (3)
3 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Listing block level compressed tables

I have been told that in TD 13.10, the SHOWBLOCKS command in Ferret prints a "#" character next to the tables that have compressed blocks, but I can't attest to this personally since I don't have a 13.10 system on hand at the moment.

Try something like this:

SCOPE TABLE ALL, CLASS PERMANENT, VPROC 1
SHOWBLOCKS /S

The UPDATESPACE command you want would be something like this:

UPDATE ALL SPACE FOR my_database_name ;
or
UPDATE ALL SPACE FOR ALL DATABASES ;
Enthusiast

Thanks Jim, appreciate the response.  It does indeed print the "#".  Here's the condensed output of:  scope table "db.tblnm" 0 > showblocks for a block level compressed table:

|Total Number of Data Blocks|

|  82704191# |

Are there any concerns associated with running the update command?  Could it take hours, use a significant amount of resources when running, etc.?

Thanks again.

Hi All,

Is there a way to list ALL BLC tables in 14.10? not just one by one..

Thanks,

Noa.