But when i tried

insert into tab2

Lock row for access

sel * from tab1

This doesn't work. Is Lock row for access not allowed while insert - select

10 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Lock row for access : In insert-Select

LOCKING ROW FOR ACCESS is only valid for SELECT statements, as it allows the dirty reads from the table and allows INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE operations on the table...

INSERT statements put the WRITE lock on the table during its operation...

In case of insert into select *, table level locks are applied on both the tables. Insert will undergo write and select will undergo read lock at table level

So
Teradata Employee

Create a view for the "tab1" table using LOCK ROW FOR ACCESS and then select from the view when doing the INSERT/SELECT.

Enthusiast

if i do it this way : 

Lock table tab1 for  access

insert into tab2

sel * from tab1

This works. How is this different from the row level access that we generally apply

Teradata Employee

Locking Row for Access only works (locks only a limited number of rows in a table) when there is an equality condition on a UPI or NUPI in a WHERE clause. This is because it is generally a row hash level lock.

Example:

LOCKING ROW FOR ACCESS

SEL * FROM TAB1

WHERE  COL1 = 1

In the case where there is no WHERE clause, Locking Row for Access is automatically converted to a Table Level lock (LOCKING TABLE FOR ACCESS)

Hi ,

I was trying --

Locking View for Access, inplace of Locking Table for Access(when i was inserting data from a view, which was taking data from a table).

Interestingly, it went through.

Now my question is, is it locking the table which was being referred by the view ??.

Thanks,

Binayak

Junior Contributor

Hi Binayak,

as there's no actual lock on a view it's always passed to the table. Simply Explain your query.

Enthusiast

Hi,

Locking row for access can be used in an INSERT, but, the Locking statement should be provided on top.

Lock tab1 for access

insert into tab2 sel * from tab1;

Sravan.

Enthusiast

The insert statement will overwride the access lock with write lock. Review the explain plan and you will notice it.