MS Word document as LOB

Database
Enthusiast

MS Word document as LOB

I assume that one can store an MS Word document as a LOB (BLOB? CLOB?). But how do you get it back out? If we use Teradata to store MS Word documents, what sort of application would we need to deploy to allow users to easily retrieve and view these documents? SQL Assistant wouldn't cut it for our user base.

TIA,
Nolan
4 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: MS Word document as LOB

Word documents would go in as BLOB.

While I haven't tried with BLOBs, I haven't had any issues with using SQL assistant with CLOBs, as long as I turn on the "Use native large object support" in the ODBC DSN.

SQL assistant would prompt for a directory for each CLOB column where it will store the results and to provide an extension (default is txt you can say doc if your data is word document).

The answer set will display "buttons" corresponding to each CLOB values where you can click and it will open up (so if you had chosen doc for file type, it would open up in word).

I would recommend you give it a try.

You can also write applications to manually extract the CLOB/BLOB objects and generate a file... but that could be quite cumbersome.
Kks
Enthusiast

How do you store such objects in teradata table columns

is it mload etc. used
Enthusiast

We haven't actually started loading documents into Teradata; I had just read a white paper from Teradata which talked about LOB's which implied that a Word document is one of the types of files that can be stored in this datatype.

What about MS Access? Can it present a LOB? SQL Assistant is NOT an option for the user base I have in mind.

N.
Enthusiast

Currently, support for importing or exporting LOB data via the client utilities is very limited. The best-supported interfaces are the ODBC and JDBC APIs. I am not knowledgeable about MS Access, but I do know that it is an ODBC client, so if it does have LOB support it should work with Teradata.