Merge Vs Delete/Insert

Database
Enthusiast

Merge Vs Delete/Insert

Recently I encountered an interesting discussion with one of my fellow developer.

I have a following scenario:

I have staged data with 56 millions rows. Some of the column values are really huge like Varchar(2500). I need to UPSERT stage table with target table. I thought to choose 'MERGE' since it is fastest and does block level updates/inserts. My friend claimed that merge statement takes more time on huge volume. Instead, he suggested to go with DELETE/Insert approach.

I am little skeptical about using DELETE via Stage/Target joins.

What do you recommend?

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Merge Vs Delete/Insert

Hi,

It can vary from case to case depending on index selection and stats on the table .... have you benchmarked MERGE and DELETE/INSERT approaches?

Generally MERGE should be faster in execution, but I have seen DELETE/INSERT queries working faster.

HTH!

Regards, MAC

Enthusiast

//have you benchmarked MERGE and DELETE/INSERT approaches?//

I am going to.

//Generally MERGE should be faster in execution, but I have seen DELETE/INSERT queries working faster.//

This is what my friend's claim too. I have worked on big table with less columns. Merge was too fast.

FYI. Stage and Target table schemas are exactly same, and same PI.

Enthusiast

Merge statements are definitely faster by atleast 30%, from my experience, but the most important benefit is error handling.
One thing to watchout for is for tables with PPI, it could get tricky with a UPI/PPI combination.
Teradata Employee

Do share results of your benchmarking for our learning.

Regards, MAC