Migrating to Teradata 13.0

Database
The Teradata Database channel includes discussions around advanced Teradata features such as high-performance parallel database technology, the optimizer, mixed workload management solutions, and other related technologies.
Teradata Employee

Migrating to Teradata 13.0

This article provides a high-level overview of the process involved in moving to Teradata 13. Teradata 13 offers many new features and some of the highlights are covered in other articles on DEV/X. The focus here is how to get to Teradata 13.0.

Note: You should install, upgrade, migrate, and back down Teradata Database only with the assistance of qualified Teradata field personnel. Contact your sales or customer support representative (CSR) to initiate all IUM activities.

Planning the Move to Teradata 13.0

The first question to ask yourself when planning a move to Teradata 13.0 is what release and platform do you have now and what is your target.

How you get to Teradata 13.0 depends largely on whether you’re on V2R5.x or a prior release, or onV2R6.x or later release. In this article, these are referred to as Type I and Type II respectively as illustrated below.

Also, the migration process also depends on whether you intend to move to a new Teradata hardware platform, change the operating system that you’re running on the Teradata nodes, or remain on your current platform.

Upgrade Versus Migration

There are two options for moving from one release of Teradata to another – Upgrade and Migration.

Upgrades can move up only one release level at a time, for example V2R5.x to V2R6.x. Upgrades are typically used for release level changes across major, minor, maintenance or patch releases.

Migrations, on the other hand, can move up to two major release levels at a time, for example V2R5.x to TD12.0. They are also used when moving to a different platform such as a 64-bit system from a earlier generation of Teradata hardware and operating system support. A migration requires that you store data on media (exception is NPARC migration done by Teradata Operational Services).

Migration Defined

Data Migrations are typically used migrate data to move it to a newer or larger destination system. But with a migration, you can also move up in Teradata Database release level by up to two major releases, compared to moving up only one major release by a software upgrade. You accomplish the two-level jump on a single system using a “migration in place” process that includes:

• archiving the data -- On a migration, the data is archived from the system,

• installing the newer Teradata Database release on the system, complete with sysinit

• restoring the data -- the data is restored (and any migration scripts run) to either the same system or an entirely new system, the later being the most typical usage of migration. If it’s a new system, the data must be redistributed among the new set of AMPS.

Upgrade Defined

Upgrading is the process of replacing an earlier release of Teradata Database software -- only one major release -- with a more recent release. The user data remains, and is converted, in place on the disk arrays. The system hardware does not change in any way.

Upgrading from Release V2R6.x to Release 12.0 is a major upgrade that includes a data

conversion. The upgrade changes the Teradata Database system tables to the Unicode data format.

It is possible to use the upgrade process to move from a release older than one major release, but special requirements apply. For example, an upgrade to Release 13.0 from V2R5.1.2 and previous releases requires a multi-stage implementation to facilitate the data conversion necessary for moving through intermediate releases.

To facilitate this, all customers upgrading to Release 13.0 from Teradata V2r6.2 or older releases will automatically receive a copy of the intermediate versions of Teradata Database – in this case Teradata 12.0 (specifically 12.0.1.13 ) -- to use during the multi-stage upgrade process. Any 6.x customer can upgrade to 12.0.1.13 and then to 13.0 (i.e. 6.0 or 6.1 can upgrade to 12.0 and bypass 6.2 since that is still only one major release upgrade). This additional CD is labeled according to the operating system on which Teradata Database is running, and is for upgrade purposes only.

Customers are licensed to use the interim software CD only as part of the upgrade process. After the upgrade is complete, customers should dispose of the CD. If the CD is not required because the customer is upgrading from a newer Teradata Database version, it should be disposed of immediately.

Teradata Tools and Utilities and Moving to Teradata 13.0

With past Teradata releases, the release of the Teradata Tools and Utilities (TTU) needed to be equivalent or greater than that of the Teradata Database. For example, if you were on release Teradata 12.0 of the database, you needed to be on TTU 12 or TTU 13. You could not be on a prior release of TTU. Thus, in most cases, you would upgrade you TTU release and then your database. This is still the recommended approach; however, with Teradata 13.0, this has changed. Teradata 13.0 supports TTU 12.0 and TTU 13.0. The reason for this is to provide more flexibility in how you upgrade your Teradata environment.

The following applies to this new feature:

• The following TTU 12.0 products will work with Teradata 13.0, but will not expose or work when used with new DBS features: APIs (ODBC, CLI, JDBC, etc), Load/unload (Fastload, Multiload, Fastexport, tpump, TPT), plus BTEQ & SQL Assistant.

• There are several products for which this new compatibility feature does not work. For the following TTU products, they will need to be upgraded when Teradata is upgraded: Back & Recovery (BAR / aka ARC), Teradata Manager, TDWM (Basically all workload management / database management products), Query Director, MDS.

• It is also to point out that products from TTU 12.0 do not support the new features in the Teradata 13.0 database.

Moving to Teradata 13.0 – An Illustrated Guide

Referring to the Type I – customers on Teradata V2R5.x and Prior – and Type II – customers on V2R6.x and later – from earlier in the article, the following illustrates the required step for moving to Teradata 13.0 in the various scenarios.

Type I Customers – V2R5.x and Prior Releases

Type I Customers – V2R5.x and Prior: Multi-Step Upgrade to Teradata 13.0

Type I Customers – V2R5.x and Prior: Migrate to Teradata 13.0

Type II Customers – V2R6.x and Later: Upgrade to Teradata 13.0

Type II Customers – V2R6.x and Later: Migration to Teradata 13.0

9 REPLIES
dmg
Fan

Re: Migrating to Teradata 13.0

There was 6 then 12 and now 13. why was there a leap from 6 to 12 ?
Also, will the TTU (like SQL Assistant) be always released along with the corresponding version or that is a different sequence?
Teradata Employee

TTU version numbers are now aligned with the database. For example TTU 13 has been release to support the upcoming 13 database and TTU 13.1 will arrive shortly before the 13.1 database. Also, although TTU is versioned with its current database, these utilities also support the 4 prior database releases. TTU 13 supports not only database 13, but also 12.0, 6.2, 6.1 and 6.0.
Highlighted

if we're migrating from V2R6.x to 13, are there any changes SQL syntax wise? thanks
Enthusiast

Can you pls let me know if you have any impact due to the patch Installation…any impact to the current work or next releases

Since we are in Teradata13.10 but we wanted to do patch installation

1. Teradata minor patch (TD13.10.7.x -->TD.13.10.7.19)

OS Patch - Ghost - Vulnerability

2. Teradata minor patch (TD13.10.7.x -->TD.13.10.7.19)

3. Teradata minor patch (TD13.10.7.x -->TD.13.10.7.19)

Replace failed DIMMs on Node

Reset currently active HSN nodes back into Standby

Can you please help me, Thanks in advance

Teradata Employee

let me direct your question to the proper resource. thanks, steve

Teradata Employee

I am thinking that you should rearch out to your Teradata site team to request the Ghost patch. We have certified the Ghost fix for 13.10 and updated TSS with the certified packages. We are recommending all customers pick up the Ghost patch.

Enthusiast

we are upgrading from 14 to 15 its a new appliance, new system is connected to exsting BAR solution . data migration either we run restore jobs or TPTS. how to migrate the views, macros and storeprocedures into new system. 

Please provide your inputs

Enthusiast

when we restore  DBC data  into new system, databases/schemas and users will be covered in that or do we need to create the schemas manullay ?.

Enthusiast

please ignore my Q's . I got the answers .