Multiple Grand Totals

Database

Multiple Grand Totals

Hello,

I have searched for days trying to find answer to this without any sucess.  

My Query:

select

HOSTNAME

,LOCATION

,RACK_NUMBER

,RACK_POSITION

,RACK_UNITS

,POWER_WATTS

FROM TABLE

with sum(RACK_UNITS)(title 'Total Rack Units:')by location

with sum(VENDOR_MAX_WATT_POWER)(title 'Total WATT POWER:')by location

with sum(RACK_UNITS)(title 'Grand Total RUs:')

with sum(VENDOR_MAX_WATT_POWER)(title 'Grand Total WATT POWER:');

This will fail to run, but if I take out the last line it will run fine.  How in the heck do I get mutliple grand totals?

I would greatly appreciate any help with this.  I have spent hours and hours looking for a solution with no avail.

Thank very much,

Bill

4 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Multiple Grand Totals

Hi,

It seems you miss out the BY + fieldname. I am not sure if it allows for multiple with sum too.

I test for onewith sum(xxx) by field1.... it works fine.

However, I test this way using. You can make change accordingly:

SUM(rack_units) OVER (PARTITION BY location ROWS BETWEEN UNBOUNDED PRECEDING AND UNBOUNDED FOLLOWING)

select HOSTNAME,LOCATION,RACK_NUMBER,RACK_POSITION,RACK_UNITS,POWER_WATTS,

SUM(rack_units) OVER (PARTITION BY location ROWS BETWEEN UNBOUNDED PRECEDING AND UNBOUNDED FOLLOWING) as rkunit,

SUM(VENDOR_MAX_WATT_POWER) OVER (PARTITION BY location ROWS BETWEEN UNBOUNDED PRECEDING AND UNBOUNDED FOLLOWING) as tot1,

SUM(rack_units) OVER (PARTITION BY location ROWS BETWEEN UNBOUNDED PRECEDING AND UNBOUNDED FOLLOWING) as rk1,

SUM(rack_units) OVER (PARTITION BY location ROWS BETWEEN UNBOUNDED PRECEDING AND UNBOUNDED FOLLOWING),

SUM(VENDOR_MAX_WATT_POWER) OVER (PARTITION BY location ROWS BETWEEN UNBOUNDED PRECEDING AND UNBOUNDED FOLLOWING) as tot2 from TABLE

Cheers,

Raja

Senior Apprentice

Hi Bill,

there's only one grand total.

But when you need multiple aggregates on the same level you can simply delimit them by comma:

with sum(RACK_UNITS)(title 'Total Rack Units:'),
sum(VENDOR_MAX_WATT_POWER)(title 'Total WATT POWER:')by location
with sum(RACK_UNITS)(title 'Grand Total RUs:'),
sum(VENDOR_MAX_WATT_POWER)(title 'Grand Total WATT POWER:');

Btw, are you actually still running BTEQ reports like this? I almost forgot about that syntax :-)

Thank you Raja and Dieter.  Dieter's response gave me the output I was looking for.

And yes, I am still using BTEQ for reports.  I know I could use Crystal Reports, but I've never been a fan of that software.  Is there some other reporting tool I should be looking at that gives me the ability to schedule and e-mail reports out?  I am just a shell nut, but willing to change if I find something that can do what I'm looking for.

Thanks again.

Bill

Senior Apprentice

Hi Bill,

almost any reporting tool should be able to do what you want, but why changing it when it suits you?

I just wondered because such BTEQ reports used to be printed directly on that nice green-white endless-paper and now everybody wants some more fancy-looking, fully-colored, graphically appealing report  ;-)