Name convension problem.

Database
IYA
Enthusiast

Name convension problem.

Hi, I'm newbie and doing my self study Teradata. I've accidently created a table named begin with number. I wanna delete it but there is something wrong, please help!
15 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Name convension problem.

Hi friend

Thanks and Regards
Anil Reddy

Enthusiast

which prolem you are getting while you are deleting a table?
Enthusiast

Hi,

You can drop any table by using following command:

Drop table tablename;

Regards,
Balamurugan B
IYA
Enthusiast

Hi Anill and balam,

Thank you for your attention.

I use drop table test12.1sttable as my db name is test12 and stupid table name is 1sttable, but there is an error occurred.

The error message is 3706: Syntax error: expected something between the word 'test12 and the number '.1'.

Please advice, thank you. Btw, is there any classroom training based on Singapore?

Thanks again and have a richly blessed day!

Best regards,
YaYa
Enthusiast

Hi yaya,

I think, teradata will not allow us to create a table with the first character as numeric.
So check whether your table is exists or not..

Regards,
Balamurugan
Senior Apprentice

Just use double quotes:
drop table test12."1sttable"

Dieter
IYA
Enthusiast

Thank you there. What bother me is the table named '1sttable' is still there. I can see the structure inside, but I can add any values to it or drop the whole table. I wanna drop the whole database test12, but it doesn't allow. So...... What shall I do?

Enthusiast

Probably you might not have the privilege to drop the database objects..
So check your privilege..
IYA
Enthusiast

Thanks brother, I have the admin right. I could drop other tables. When I use double, the error is 3807: Object 'test12.1sttable' does not exist. But I did see it in the DB, I've tried log out and relog in. However, the stubborn '1sttable' is still there.:P