Need to convert UNICODE to LATIN

Database

Need to convert UNICODE to LATIN

I have encountered numerous problems due to differing character sets in my database. The biggest issue encountered is a failure in Informatica ETL when attempting to export data from Teradata. LATIN is the default character set; however certain instances exist where columns default to UNICODE instead.

CREATE TABLE DATABASE.TABLE_A, NO FALLBACK AS
( SELECT 'YES' AS DUMMY_FLAG
FROM TABLE_B
)WITH DATA

or

CREATE TABLE DATABASE.TABLE_A, NO FALLBACK AS
( SELECT CASE WHEN A IS NULL
THEN 'YES'
ELSE 'NO'
END AS DUMMY_FLAG
FROM TABLE_B
)WITH DATA

In certain scripts when a literal is used in the select statement, the column defaults to UNICODE. I need to know how to convert the existing columns back to LATIN, and what can be done to prevent this in the future.

Thanks

Brad

4 REPLIES
Junior Contributor

Re: Need to convert UNICODE to LATIN

SQL Reference: Data Types and Literals
Chapter 2: Data Literals
Character Data Literals

The data type and server character set of a character literal is always VARCHAR(n)
CHARACTER SET UNICODE, where n is the length of the literal.

SELECT
'YES' AS DUMMY_FLAG_U,
type (dummy_flag_U),
TRANSLATE('YES' USING UNICODE_TO_LATIN) AS DUMMY_FLAG,
type (dummy_flag);

Dieter

Thank you Dieter, that is exactly what I needed. This will resolve any future occurances (after I update hundreds of scripts of course).

As for the existing tables, is there a way to ALTER the character set in a table, or is rebuilding every table using this TRANSLATE function the only way? This will work, however many of my tables are just massive.

Thanks again
Enthusiast

CAST(COALESCE(col1,'') AS VARCHAR(10))

produces UNICODE

While 

COALESCE(CAST(col1 AS VARCHAR(10)),'') 

produces LATIN.

Any explaination for this?

Thanks.

Enthusiast

not sure from where you concluded that.

here literal-strings are being discussed.

see --

select type(f01), type(f02) from (select coalesce(cast('yes' as varchar(10)), '') as f01, cast(coalesce('yes', '') as varchar(10)) as f02) as t;

*** Query completed. One row found. 2 columns returned.

*** Total elapsed time was 1 second.

Type(f01)                                                                       Type(f02)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VARCHAR(10) CHARACTER SET UNICODE                                               VARCHAR(10) CHARACTER SET UNICODE

both are unicode type.