Need way to see how long sessions have been idle when VIEWPOINT services cannot be run.

Database

Need way to see how long sessions have been idle when VIEWPOINT services cannot be run.

We are on 13.10.07.10 and have been experiencing Database restarts (13) for the past month.   All indications from support is it has to do with Viewpoint and they have requested we upgrade.   We WILL Upgrade but it can't happen IMMEDIATELY.   Until then to attempt to isolate the issue we have decided to turn off our Viewpoint services.   With these not running is there a way (SQL or utility) to determine which sessions are Idle and how long they have been idle?   I have tried using QRYSESSN, but it simple tells me the session is IDLE, not how long it has been in that state.  ANY HELP at all will be greatly appreciated.  

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Need way to see how long sessions have been idle when VIEWPOINT services cannot be run.

Hi SandyRumble, i think that is not posible without viewpoint, because viewpoint save the information for do this statistics, but there is a file where viewpoint have its queries that it use.

One way for do this is create a script where you save this information for realize this function.

sorry for not being able to help more.

Junior Supporter

Re: Need way to see how long sessions have been idle when VIEWPOINT services cannot be run.

The below query will give you the list of all IDLE sessions on the system.

sel * FROM TABLE (MonitorSession(-1,'*',0)) AS t2

Where AMPState='IDLE' and PESTATE='IDLE';

I don't believe there is a direct way to find how long a particular session is IDLE for.

However i think you will have to script something using the columns Xactcount and Reqcount which are returned by MonitorSession.

You may periodically log the output of above query to a table.

If the sessions are  reported as idle in last execution of the above query and if XactCount and ReqCount values did not change during the last MONITOR SESSION

request then these sessions are IDLE and the exact time it is in state idle can then be found by the difference between the first and last record log timestamp.

See if this works for you and gives desired result.

(Note :- I have seen that it takes few secs for Reqcount values to get updated.)

Abhishek Jadhav