ODBC Access Teradata vmware

Database

ODBC Access Teradata vmware

Hello,

I am new to Teradata.  I have installed the vmware version already.  I can go into the guest linux and run Teradata commands from the terminal.  So far so good.

However, what I really would like to do is access the database from an ODBC connection.  I installed the ODBC utilities on the Windows 10 host side.  But when I try to create a connection, it fails and it says not responding.  I have checked and tested against all the IP addresses to no avail.

I suspect I am missing something as this should be possible.  What can I do to make this happen?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Teradata Employee

Re: ODBC Access Teradata vmware

By default, the TD Express VM is configured to use "Bridged" networking. But with newer versions of Windows, VMware sometimes is prevented from installing the "VMware Bridge Protocol" network service (or it may even be removed when certain Microsoft updates are applied). You can search VMware support and third party forums for more information about this issue and some potential solutions.

To confirm this is the issue, go to Control Panel / Network & Internet / Change adapter options. Right click the adapter your PC is using to connect to the LAN / internet and choose Properties. Verify whether or not the VMware service is listed as one of the items used by the connection.

Or a workaround is to edit the virtual machine settings in VMware and change the network adapter from "Bridged" to "Host-only" (while the VM is powered down). Then power it up, go to a terminal window in Linux, and use "ifconfig eth0" to find the IP address to use for connections from the Windows host.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
2 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

By default, the TD Express VM is configured to use "Bridged" networking. But with newer versions of Windows, VMware sometimes is prevented from installing the "VMware Bridge Protocol" network service (or it may even be removed when certain Microsoft updates are applied). You can search VMware support and third party forums for more information about this issue and some potential solutions.

To confirm this is the issue, go to Control Panel / Network & Internet / Change adapter options. Right click the adapter your PC is using to connect to the LAN / internet and choose Properties. Verify whether or not the VMware service is listed as one of the items used by the connection.

Or a workaround is to edit the virtual machine settings in VMware and change the network adapter from "Bridged" to "Host-only" (while the VM is powered down). Then power it up, go to a terminal window in Linux, and use "ifconfig eth0" to find the IP address to use for connections from the Windows host.

Fred,

Thank you very much for your thoughtful and detailed response.  I changed the networking type as you suggested and it worked right away.  I will start playing around doing some more useful things.  I expect I will be back soon with some questions :-)

Thanks again.