OLE DB fast load/bulk insert

Database
Enthusiast

OLE DB fast load/bulk insert

Hello.

I have a question rearding the Teradata OLE DB drivers. Do they permit an equivalent of MSSQL's "BULK INSERT" operation?
When connecting to Teradata through the ODBC bridge, the operation physically results in a series of INSERT statements, which 1) take ages to finish and 2) clog the machine's logs.
Thus, I've been wondering if the OLD DB provider for Teradata allows a more efficient access (through the IRowsetFastLoad interface)?
If yes, then which version is required for this support?
(I'm trying to use MS SSIS to load data to a Teradata DB.)

Regards,
3 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: OLE DB fast load/bulk insert

OLE DB Provider for Teradata does not have BULK INSERT.
It does support Parameter Array / Set. That is it can send one INSERT statement with multiple rows of Data. This should improve the overall performance as compared to single row inserts.

Also, OLE DB Access Module (not to be confused with OLE DB Provider) can generate FastLoad script.

Hello,

I'm trying to do the exact same thing with SSIS. Can you point me in the direction of some examples for these Parameter Array/Sets?

Thanks

Enthusiast

If you want to do Bulk Insert to Teradata from VB.Net, C# or some other CLR language, I've created a Managed C++ wrapper for the Teradata Parallel Transport API (equivalent to FAST LOAD).
http://tptapiwrapper.codeplex.com/