Only IX,RF access rights on one table but more rights on other tables

Database
Enthusiast

Only IX,RF access rights on one table but more rights on other tables

Hi 

I have two Teradata instances and same schema (db/tbl/views) is created on both the instances.

In first TD instance I can see user has only IX,RF access on a table.

However in second TD instance user has CG,D,,DG,DP,DT,I,,IX,R,,RF,RS,ST,U access on same table.

Kindly let me know why am I seeing this difference in access rights ? Same user was created to create same database in both the instances. I mean everything is same then why this difference ?

And what does RF (Reference) actually mean ?

Also if someone can share link of pdf in which access right details are present.

TIA

Nitin

Accepted Solutions
Senior Apprentice

Re: Only IX,RF access rights on one table but more rights on other tables

How exactly do you check the access rights, using which query?

Regarding the ability to Update without matchoing access right you probably got the right on database level, thus it's not needed on table level. Maybe there's a batch job on the 2nd system which periodically removes unneccessary rights?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
4 REPLIES
Enthusiast

The user with the most rights is the owner of the table?
Enthusiast

Hi

Hope the below example will bring more clarity to my question:

DATABASENAME: DB_TEST

TABLENAME: TBL_TEST

USERNAME: USER_TEST

I have created same DB, same Tbl using USER_TEST in both the environment.

Now when I check accessrights I see IX,RF in one server however so many other rights in other server.

I am looking for the answer to understand what exactly resulted in different access rights on the table.

Also I see the table which has IX,RF as access rights for the user USER_TEST , I can run UPDATE command too on the table. So in addition to IX,RF why there is no U in accessrights view result ?

I know I haven't explained it in the best manner perhaps due to less understanding of accessrights concept.

Thanks

Nitin 

Thanks

Nitin

Teradata Employee

It looks like the first instance has different default values set, or a different default ROLE.  Go to info.teradata.com, click on Teradata Database and find the manual "SQL Data Control Language."  It tells how to create roles, and Appendix B lists all the privileges.  There is also the "Security Administration" manual.

"Reference" has to to with the creation of foreign keys which reference a table.  I sure don't understand how anyone can do much with just IX (create/drop index) and RF.  There is always the option of Grant All on DB|Table to a user....

Senior Apprentice

How exactly do you check the access rights, using which query?

Regarding the ability to Update without matchoing access right you probably got the right on database level, thus it's not needed on table level. Maybe there's a batch job on the 2nd system which periodically removes unneccessary rights?