Ordered Analytics function in Select and in Where with conflicting order - which is resolved 1st

Database
The Teradata Database channel includes discussions around advanced Teradata features such as high-performance parallel database technology, the optimizer, mixed workload management solutions, and other related technologies.

Ordered Analytics function in Select and in Where with conflicting order - which is resolved 1st

I am trying to decipher some code that loosely has this form

Select ID

, max(<Date>) over (partition by ID, f2, f3 order by date rows between 1 following and 1 following)

from tablea 

where 

qualify  row_number() over  (partition by ID, f3, f2, date order by f5, f6, f7) =1 

my theory is that the where clause is resolved leaving me with 1 row per ID and the select to work with; is that correct? 

Accepted Solutions
Junior Contributor

Re: Ordered Analytics function in Select and in Where with conflicting order - which is resolved 1st

WHERE <> QUALIFY.

The order of execution is as follows:
FROM - WHERE - Aggregate/GROUP BY - HAVING - OLAP - QUALIFY - SAMPLE - ORDER BY
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
2 REPLIES
Junior Supporter

Re: Ordered Analytics function in Select and in Where with conflicting order - which is resolved 1st

Hi.

First OLAP, then QUALIFY.

HTH.

Cheers.

Carlos.

Junior Contributor

WHERE <> QUALIFY.

The order of execution is as follows:
FROM - WHERE - Aggregate/GROUP BY - HAVING - OLAP - QUALIFY - SAMPLE - ORDER BY