Parameter Values in SYSLIB.AbortSessions

Database
Enthusiast

Parameter Values in SYSLIB.AbortSessions

We are trying to logoff sessions from our Teradata Production system,using the SYSLIB.AbortSessions() function.

SYSLIB.AbortSessions function takes 5 parameters.Can someone tell me what does the fifth parameter mean and what are the permissible values?

Thanks in Advance!!

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Parameter Values in SYSLIB.AbortSessions

The SYSLIB.AbortSessions function is documented in the Teradata Database Reference book "Application Programming Reference" Chapter 4 "System PMPC APIs".

The fifth parameter is named UserOverride. Here is the documentation for that parameter.

Indicator of whether to override an ABORT SESSION failure:

• Y = Override the ABORT SESSION request to fail in any of the following cases:

• An identified session is being session-switched.

• An identified session is executing its own ABORT SESSION request.

• An identified session has a PEState of IDLE: IN-DOUBT as a result of a 2PC.

Note: Sessions are marked IN-DOUBT by the 2PC protocol, which governs how transactions are committed by multiple systems that do not share memory. The protocol guarantees that either all systems commit or all roll back.

• N or NULL = Do not override.

Enthusiast

Thanks Tom for the quick response.

• An identified session is being session-switched.

By "session-switched", do you mean the session is being moved to any secondary failover system by TQD(Teradata Query Director)?

Could you please clarify.

Teradata Employee

First, please keep in mind that I simply copy-and-pasted the documentation from the Teradata Database Reference. I did not compose that text myself.

But to answer your question...

No, "session switching" is not related to Query Director or Unity. Session switching is an operation that occurs within the Teradata Database.

Each Teradata Database session resides on a particular PE; however, PEs are processes and they can fail and go offline. When a PE goes offline, then all the sessions that reside on that PE must be relocated to a different PE. That operation is called "session switching", and the Teradata Database Gateway is responsible for doing that.

Enthusiast

Thanks Tom for going the extra mile and answering the question..